You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:05 pm 

First off, if there is a better place to put this, please tell me! I'm new here :D

I (20) was just diagnosed with type 1 latex allergy. For some reason, balloons and latex gloves never bothered me until I started working in chemistry and biology labs where latex gloves are commonly used. At age 19 I started developing symptoms.

-My symptoms include (so far) a sunburn-like rawness on my tongue and lips along with face, tongue, throat, and mouth itching upon contact with latex. I also have a feeling of a lump in my throat like I'm about to cry and I wheeze. I now know to immediately use the epipen when I touch latex and I plan to do so. Is this mild anaphylaxis? What is the difference between anapplylaxis and anaphylatic shock?

-I know to use the epipen immediately upon getting symptoms, but should I take a benedryl as well?

-My dad (45) has had a severe shellfish/ iodine allergy since his teens and is convinced he will grow out of it and stupidly indulges in some shrimp once a year to test it. Coincidentally, we make a trip to the ER every year. He refuses to carry an epipen and relies on benedryl when he starts to swell, wheeze, and has difficultly breathing. Once I got my epipen I convinced him to get one as well and USE IT.
Anyway, is it true you can grow out of a food allergy? I'm thinking if he hasn't grown out of it by 45, he isn't going to.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hello! Glad you found us!
How were you diagnosed and do you have a prescription for an auto-injector?
A great source of education regarding anaphylaxis is: http://www.allergysafecommunities.ca/pages/default.asp

To answer your questions:
Is this mild anaphylaxis? What is the difference between anapplylaxis and anaphylatic shock?
There are mild allergic responses and then there are anaphylaxis responses.
Reactions can change swiftly so if you have ever had an anaphylaxis response to an allergen, you are at risk of the same and should consider any future reactions as a potentially anaphylaxis reaction.
Quote:
Signs and symptoms of a severe allergic reaction can occur within minutes of exposure to an allergen.

In rarer cases, the time frame can vary up to several hours after exposure.

The way these symptoms can vary from person to person and even from episode to episode in the same person.

An anaphylactic reaction can involve any of the following symptoms, which may appear alone or in any combination, regardless of the triggering allergen:
•Skin system: hives, swelling, itching, warmth, redness, rash
•Respiratory system (breathing): coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, chest pain/tightness, throat tightness, hoarse voice, nasal congestion or hay fever-like symptoms (runny itchy nose and watery eyes, sneezing), trouble swallowing
•Gastrointestinal system (stomach): nausea, pain/cramps, vomiting, diarrhea
•Cardiovascular system (heart): pale/blue colour, weak pulse, passing out, dizzy/lightheaded, shock
•Other: anxiety, feeling of “impending doom”, headache, uterine cramps, metallic taste
Because of the unpredictability of reactions, early symptoms should never be ignored, especially if the person has suffered an anaphylactic reaction in the past.

I know to use the epipen immediately upon getting symptoms, but should I take a benedryl as well?
No. Benedryl can cause a risk of choking if you are having issues in the mouth and throat. Benedryl can mask some of the symptoms but it can't stop other symptoms. The best thing to do is:
1. Use your auto-injector and keep a second one near by
2. Call 9-1-1
3. Remain calm and lay down with your feet slighlty elevated.
4. Go to an Emergency Room and remain there for at least 4 hours.
5. Obtain a prescription for replacement auto-injectors and fill this when you leave the hospital.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:03 pm 

How were you diagnosed and do you have a prescription for an auto-injector?

I had a skin prick test at first that came up "negative", but I experienced itchy tongue and face during the test so a blood test was done. After the blood was drawn the doctor gave me a benedryl and huffed about how someone with my symptom history should have only gotten a blood test. That came up positive. I was prescribed an 2-pack of EpiPens.

No. Benedryl can cause a risk of choking if you are having issues in the mouth and throat. Benedryl can mask some of the symptoms but it can't stop other symptoms.

Thank you for clearing that up before I did that!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

No worries! A lot of people wonder about this.

I failed to answer your other question about outgrowing food allergies. Usually this is done by the age of 7 so he's probably not going to.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb