You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:24 pm 

Our new Medic Alert bracelet just arrived, and it's a bit too big (which is wierd since we ordered the same size as for our older child which seemed to be a decent fit). It's just the basic stainless steel/small emblem one, I don't want to send it back & be without it, and all of the jewellers are swamped with repairs/custom orders leading up to Christmas. I'm wondering if we can take off a few links ourselves? Has anyone ever done this? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:36 am 

Becky, I've done this. I always find they arrive too big for me. They're fine for everyday, but get in the way during sports. I just used two pairs of fine-nosed pliers and opened up the loop which connects the chain to the clasp and moved it down the line of links. This means I have an extra link just dangling, but I got the heavier duty bracelet most recently and I couldn't open up the actual links on this one. I'm sure a jeweler could do that though. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

I've had jewelers do it. :thumbsup

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:38 pm 

I have wasted my money on a bracelet with them. I ordered one of their new ones (the bicycle chain one). Even after getting more than five different braceletes that all fit fine it came and it is SOOOO big it falls off of my hand! I even had the person on line with me as I placed the order. I sent it back but they cant do anything with this as you just cannot pull a link off. So it sits on my dresser collecting dust. I also find it too bulky even though I was not looking for dainty it really is big. The plate on the front also does not stay turned up and for me personally I am comfortable with the medic plate being shown BUT I really dont think everybody needs to see what my issues are. If they could have sized it I would wear it. It was not the cheapest one either. Grumble, Grumble.. :banghead