You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:40 am 

As in my other thread our MedicAlert Bracelet (the basic SS one), arrived a few days ago, and our son is allergic to it, he has broken out in hives around his wrist. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions for ordering a replacement?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:42 pm 

I would think the sports one would have only fabric and plastic against skin. I do have the roots one the only part that touches is leather and the buckle. Some of the other bracelets may be made of different metals??? Good luck in finding a replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:51 pm 

I was thinking the same thing as Paige H... the sports style does not have any metal. We've tried many of the styles, including the sports style, and I will comment on our experience. For us, the stainless steel (least expensive, btw) has been the best (although, it sounds like your son is having trouble with this one). Our son had the fabric sports one, but what I wasn't keen on was when it gets wet as the fabric can take quite awhile to dry, so it's not the best for bathing/swimming. However, when it's kept dry, it's a great option. We tried one that is sterling silver, but our son experienced exactly what your son is experiencing... a big rash on his wrist. I'm sure you are anxious to find a suitable style bracelet. When the holidays are over, you could call MedicAlert and ask for their advice for different options.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:58 am 

Yes, dd reacted at the stainless steel one after about 6 months, and used the sterling silver successfully until it broke. DS reacted to both stainless and silver, which I was told had trace amounts of nickel. We have since tried a few different things, including the fabric/stainless plaque ones from Sticky Jewelry, as well as the all stainless ones. They use surgical stainless steel with theirs and no reactions from my nickel sensitive kids. The fabric ones can be bought from a Cdn retailer in Calgary but can't seem to find their site.

http://www.stickyj.com/aa1099.html#.UNkzDXy9KK0
http://www.stickyj.com/aa1032.html#.UNkzh3y9KK0
http://www.stickyj.com/cr1888c.html#.UNkzxHy9KK0

I like the surgical stainless as they don't get wet or dirty, but DS's broke and has been wearing the fabric one. He wears it during swimming lessons, too and it dries quickly enough. I do have to replace the strap every year or so as it gets worn out, but it's only $6.95 or so.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:05 pm 

Thanks for the links! I find it suprising that they don't use hypoallergenic metals, given their client base..

It seems like there are more options if using medical id other than MedicAlert, but of course, they don't come with the database info. I do wonder how important that is in an emergency, I would think any info about the condition would be very valuable, with the rest being secondary? I don't know...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:18 pm 

I find the emergency hotline for Medicalert not that useful for my kids. Their food allergies are listed on their bracelets, and really, there's no additional medical information that is useful to ER in case of a reaction, like asthma etc. I also have my and DH's cell phones engraved on there.

It would be useful to be notified by Medicalert if they have a reaction but right now they are either with me, at school, with a trusted adult or at an activity. Once they are old enough to go out on their own, I might change my mind.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:46 pm 

I have a nickel allergy so when it came to buying my bracelet I called Medicalert and spoke to them about it. I can't wear a watch, earrings, or any other type of jewellery including gold so I thought I'd be stuck with the sport velcro bracelet. They suggested the pure silver bracelet and guaranteed it would be nickel free and that I shouldn't react to it. Give them a call and they will help you. I have had mine for 2 yrs now without a reaction and I wear it 24/7 in the shower, pool, beach, etc. It is a great bracelet.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:18 am 

Thank you Sarah! I appreciate the info! Have ordered a sport band, but not sure if it's as comfortable to wear 24/7, swimming etc as a chain.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 pm 

I wear my sports band 24/7, in the shower, swimming, running, to the gym, sports, and even to work. Once it is adjusted to the right size, it is very comfortable. Whilst it can take some time to dry after getting wet, I hardly notice it any more. If it ever becomes a problem, hair dryers will dry them off in a few minutes.

You can order the sports bands without the emblem and transfer your existing emblem to them using needle nose pliers. FYI

The only problem I have encountered was that the tail after I adjusted it was too long and needed to be cut off. I didn't send it back, and did it myself... voiding the warranty but I didn't care. I then melted the cut end and sewed the short tail down so it wouldn't get caught on anything. MedicAlert will do this for you for free if you give them the exact wrist measurement ahead of time.

Oh, and be sure to wash them once in a while - in the shower with soap. Best of luck!

Added: I don't like the Velcro bracelets, the Velcro sticks to things it shouldn't, but the new clip ones (bubblegum?) with the rubber loops for the ID tag are awesome. :)