You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:38 pm 

Exceptionally sad to read:

Nut allergy teenager, 15, dies after two bites of Chinese takeaway spare ribs marinated in peanut sauce

Quote:
A 15-year-old boy with a severe nut allergy died minutes after eating barbecue spare ribs from a Chinese takeaway that had been marinated in peanut sauce.

William Luckett, 15, took two bites of the ribs and died as his father Steven rushed him to hospital.

William, from Newent, Gloustershire, had been visiting his father, Steven, on the Isle of Wight for the Christmas holidays when they decided to get William's favourite meal on December 29.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2HWpaxjXW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Heart-breaking. Unfortunately, too many people assume recipes are always the same and don't ask allergy questions.

From his mom:
Quote:
'I have since discovered the restaurant they ordered from is the only one in that chain which prepares spare ribs with peanut sauce.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm 

This is very sad. :( I wondered if he had his Epipen with him but then reading on I realised he didn't. His mother said: 'If he had had his epi pen on him, it may not have made any difference. He had such a severe reaction that by the time he got help it may have been too late." Unfortunately I don't agree with this. Administering the Epipen at the very first sign of a reaction could have saved his life. Seconds count. Tragically we will never know for sure. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't agree with this.

Me neither. With an Epi, at least you have a chance, and a pretty good one at that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:23 am 

From an article I read recently, he was ordering from a different location and in that location they do use peanut oil for his favourite dish. The owner had said it was noted on the menu so wondering if they called in the order without seeing the menu and given previous success did not mention his allergy.

It definitely shows people that we aren't making up the severity of food allergies. Two bites and the young man died :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

The word "intolerance" is tossed around in this article, but he was prescribed an epipen, so I have to assume that he was at risk of anaphylaxis. He had not been tested since childhood though so he wasn't being followed by an allergist. :scratchy

Quote:
William, who suffered from Asperger's Syndrome, suffered his first reaction to peanuts at the age of four after eating a Maryland peanut cookie.
His worried parents rushed Will to hospital after he turned while and developed rashes and doctors diagnosed him with a peanut intolerance.
A year later, William mistakenly ate a peanut M&M sweet and was prescribed an Epi pen - which gives a boost of adrenaline to stop or slow an allergic reaction - after being rushed to hospital.
Quote:

...and..
Quote:

Allergies can develop from food intolerances and William had not been tested since childhood - meaning his family did not know how severe a reaction could be.

His mother summed it up perfectly when she said, "To die over something so stupid and trivial as peanut butter is a tragedy. It is so tragic because he had his whole life ahead of him."

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:10 pm 

I agree, it is a senseless and tragic waste of a young life. But it's important to look at what safeguards/precautions are in place.