You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:36 pm 

I was diagnosed with a dairy allergy a year ago and have been on a dairy-free diet since. However, I still have some products (soaps, etc) that contain dairy.

Do you think I should be eliminating those products as well? As far as I can tell, I've never reacted to dairy on skin contact, but am I taking a risk by continuing to use these products?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:58 am 
Site Admin

There are varying levels of allergy. Anaphylaxis is the most severe form of an allergic reaction. For those who typically react at this level, milder reactions can occur from skin contact with their allergen. If the allergen enters the blood stream (break in the skin, mucous membranes of eyes, nose etc.) an anaphylaxis reaction can occur. For this reason, many choose to avoid all sources of exposure to their allergens.

I would suggest you discuss the use of these products with your allergist as only you and s/he can weigh the risks.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:25 am 

Perfectly worded reply Susan!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

Aw shucks! :oops:
:huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:49 pm 

My son is dealing with sunflower allergy (anaphylaxis) amongst other things. It never ceases to amaze me that it is put in so many NON FOOD products. I knew about lip balms, shampoos and mosturising creams and have always been careful to avoid these (flaring of eczema and for the same reason i wouldnt put peanut butter on his skin-risk is too high!).

I was astounded (not sure why as it is in so many things) to find out it is also in lynx roll on deodorant (luckily my son read the label!-its a bit sad when you have to scan everything for the things you are allergic to-no just the things you eat).

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:30 pm 

Almond oil is in a bunch of things too, which will turn my skin bright red on contact and result in eczema flare ups for weeks. It's best to avoid allergens in every way possible.