You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm 

Greetings all! I'm happy to have found this forum and wanted to say hi. Like everyone else, I'm sure, I never thought I'd find myself here, and yet here I am. My husband and I have no serious allergies, but our 1 year-old son has recently been diagnosed several.

It started the first time we gave him a solid food at 6-months. He broke out in hives and red blotches when we gave him rice cereal. It was scary, and little did we know what was to come. We didn't know what component of the cereal was the problem so we simply switched him to an organic cereal with next-to-no additives and he was fine thereafter.

The real scare came when I fed him scrambled eggs for the first time; he had an anaphylactic reaction and I had to rush him to the nearest clinic for epinephrine. I hope never to have to do that again. This prompted his pediatrician to send us to see an allergist, who confirmed the egg allergy and determined he also had allergies to peanuts and dairy. This also suggested/confirmed that the first reaction was to milk protein in the rice cereal.

Given that he is still young and prefers to eat pureed foods, feeding him hasn't been so terrible but as we try to transition him to eating more of what we eat, my husband and I have learned that we need to make serious changes to our diets and lifestyle in general in order to accommodate our son. I guess that's where this forum comes in for me; I'm looking forward to sharing information and learning from those of you that have more experience in this area than I do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:09 am 
Site Admin

Hi TwoElls,

Welcome! Sorry to hear about the onset of your little one's allergies - but most glad you found us.

There are many people on the Forum dealing with young kids and multiple allergies. So you're in good company here and should come across some good ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hello! The first yearis the hardest because you are navigating each season/celebration for the firts time. It will be challenging but there is a great community here.

Try not to look too far into the future, food allergy awareness is improving remarkably compared to even 5 years ago. Focus on what is in your immediate future.

If you don't find what you are looking for, ask for advice. You can access the experience of hundreds here! :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:21 am 

Hi-your child sounds a little like mine....real life egg allergy with peanut sensitisation (mine too was determined by spt to be at risk of allergic reaction to peanut even though he hadnt consumed it). joel later outgrew egg allergy and passed a peanut challenge. He was consuming it without issue for 3 years before everything went haywire and he became re sensitised (with anaphylaxis) to it (but thats not usual).

the good thing with egg allergy is that they often out grow it!. good luck with everything-just remember its really quite hard for the first year as you are adjusting to everything....but it does eventually become MUCH better especially as they get older. We now personally find peanut and tree nuts easy to mangage (as a 10 year old) but the sunflower and to a certain degree pinapple pose greater problems as they are not clearly lablelled or understood.

good luck!!

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 pm 

Welcome TwoElls,

Soooo, sorry you're dealing with food allergies with your little one, but glad you found us! Allergic Living has been our lifeline! Such tremendous support and information beyond belief!! There are many threads for you to make your way through, but this forum is incredible.

Just wanted to mention, have you found egg-replacer yet? There are a few options whenever you are baking or making pancakes/waffles. A simple one is, for each egg in a recipe (baking), replace with 1 teaspoon baking powder + 1 tablespoon water + 1 tablespoon vinegar. Mix well before adding to a recipe. Some people use this all the time and never use anything else. Personally, what we use is an Egg Replacer made by PaneRiso Foods. I buy this at our local grocery store: Real Canadian SuperStore. I find it down the organic/natural foods aisle. The box is yellow and weighs 350g. One box is the equivalent of 100 eggs. Each teaspoon of the dry Egg Replacer requires 2 tablespoons of water, and that's it. Simple. We have used this successfully for years!! Some people also use a tablespoon of either banana or apple sauce to replace an egg.

Your introduction to food allergies sounds almost identical to ours. Our son's first anaphylactic reaction was to scrambled egg yolk, followed by hives, swelling, and the fearful trip to the ER. Scary stuff, and something you'll never forget, but at least now you are prepared!! We are now super-careful, have learned a lot, and our son is now 11. It was a steep learning curve, and we had some mishaps along the way, but we're in a good place now. The last time our son received the Epipen was over 3 years ago, but we are SO grateful for the Epipen and its existence! We tell our son that we're always prepared, always have at least 2 Epipens with us, always strive to never eat an unsafe food, always wash hands before eating/preparing food, and we're good to go! If there is a mishap, and he has a reaction, we give the Epipen and tell him we're going to "hang out" at the hospital (the hospital used to FREAK him out, so we needed to make this a casual comment. Every child is SO different). And we tell him there is NOwhere more important to be than the hospital if you've had an allergic reaction. However, the Epipen is never a replacement for making safe choices, something we've worked very hard to teach our son, now 11 years old in grade 5. Best of luck with everything!!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:15 pm 

Thanks for the welcome everyone, and thanks also for the tips. I'm still in the early phase of getting educated and I find myself pretty lost in the natural food store - surely this time next year I'll be much more comfortable! I see a vegan (+meat :wink: ) diet in my future - at least for a while (perhaps he'll outgrow the milk and egg allergies) - so I'm learning about that too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:21 pm 

Oh, TwoElls, your poor son! And poor family to have to have that added stress of the scrambled eggs incident. I'm a mother of three and unfortunately we all have various allergies. It's no fun when you really have to monitor what you eat, where you breathe, etc. I'm a big fan of these forums, and recently I also just signed up to get daily tips from docs regarding allergies (http://bit.ly/VSHOtg)- that way I won't need to be rushing to make an appointment every time I have an allergy question. I'll let you know how it pans out, hope it helps you out!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:44 pm 

Awe, thanks! I appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:59 am 
Site Admin

If you stick to basic foods, you'll be OK. Gradually, you can introduce foods with more ingredients.

Meat and vegetables, whole grains etc. Few convenience foods. It's a pretty healthy and inexpensive way to live! That savings will come in handy, because specialty mayonaises and pastas can be costly.

We use Becel Vegan margarine. We also use Veganaise mayo.
Check out the shopping section for ideas!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb