You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Food container
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:38 am 

Does anyone have a recommendation on a container that is about the size of a small dinner plate with a good sealing lid and keeps a meal hot? I don't want one with lots of smaller divided containers.

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

Post subject: Re: Food container
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen divided plates with lids but not ones that retain the heat.
Maybe someone else has...

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:51 pm 

Ginger, I can't help you, but I wanted to mention that I would SO love one of these too!! I have hunted, and have never found anything. The only thing I've been able to do is use a Thermos (the real Thermos brand seems to do the best job keeping things HOT!). My kids have both the large and mid-sized Thermos containers for their hot lunches at school. And, when my son had pancake day at school, I made his pancakes in advance, had to cut them a bit smaller using a glass so the pancakes would fit inside the thermos, and gave him his own butter and syrup in 2 separate containers. Oh, and I sent along a paper plate for him to eat his pancakes on. The only thing I've found that was remotely what I was looking for is not suitable for school (if that's what you're thinking). Pyrex has a special thermal bag for keeping food hot. You prepare the food, then heat the Pyrex in the oven to about 250-300 F, then place the hot food in the Pyrex dish. Then you heat the ice pack/heat pack in the microwave for 2 minutes, and then place both the heat pack and heated pyrex dish with a plastic lid into the thermal bag. This works for about 2 hours. We've brought foods to events this way, if we know we won't have access to an oven, and a thermos container won't work.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:08 pm 

How did you guess I wanted one that would fit some pancakes!

I only have thermos and they are great for chicken rolls standing vertically but nothing larger.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:40 pm 

Ginger, I "guessed" you might be wanting it for pancakes because I read your other post about pancake day and searching for maple syrup! Anyway, I played around finding the right size glass to cut the pancakes down to "Thermos" size (I cut out pieces of paper first to see if they would fit into the thermos so I wouldn't ruin a batch of pancakes!). We called them "mini-pancakes" and my son was perfectly fine with that (mind you, he was only 5-6 years old at the time). The efforts we go to in helping our children enjoy these events amaze some people!! But, as often as we can, and in any way we can, we try to find a way for our son to take part in all activities, unless it's simply not feasible or safe! It depends on you, your child, and how important it is to all of you. When they're really young, more effort may be required, but as they age, and have a better understanding, adjustments can be made.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:04 pm 

I just remembered this - I heard about this item a couple of years ago - read about it in The Toronto Star. This item was of interest to me, back then, because it holds hot or cold food. This is a lunch box shaped like a laptop. I have not ordered one myself, but I'm still interested in it, but have not taken the plunge. The pricing is a bit high ($24.95), but may work for some. Check out www.thermapodtv.com. There is another website for those interested in bulk ordering (large orders) www.lunchpod.tv and it can then be purchased for $14.99. When you check out the website, there is a commercial that ran on TV (I never saw this, did anyone else?), so search for that on the website to see if it's of interest to you. I wonder if it might be available in the stores "As Seen on TV" (is that the name of the store? - can't remember for sure). Anyway, if anyone decides to order this, can you please let us know what you think? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:13 am 

I had a bit of trouble with the links but eventually found the product - I emailed the company and was eagerly awaiting a reply...but no response...too bad.

So I ended up heating small corningware dishes in the over and putting them into a aluminum foil oven bag - and then into the cooler lunch bag. It was a late breakfast so it worked.

However, I will still look around for a non breakable type of container...