You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:56 pm 

There is a party at school tomorrow, the kids were asked to bring in something small to share (mini marshmallows, crackers, pretzels, etc...) and it would be combined and distributed. They are quite clear that it has to be peanut/nut free, but the thought makes me queasy. I plan to make my own bags for my kids with a fun mix of stuff, but I HATE that they are always excluded. I just don't trust everyone else to check for may contains, and I suspect most food will not come in the original packaging, but in ziplock bags.

Am I being overly protective? There are other kids with allergies and I'm the only parent who is this strict about food safety.

Sigh.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Sigh, that's not a very bright concept with all the allergies around today.

I know that I'd do what you suggest:
Quote:

I plan to make my own bags for my kids with a fun mix of stuff

And then I'd later write to the principal about this not being in keeping with the spirit of reducing allergy risks in an "allergy-aware" school. e.g. Make exactly the point that it's too much to expect every parent to read every label.

But I think there's also this: the message around allergic kids is supposed to be "no food sharing" - and we try to get other non-allergic kids to understand this. So I'd be inclined to make the point about how uneasy this event made you feel, and since there are so many great ways to include all kids - can't we look for creating those type of events instead of this kind?

And that's my 5 cents. :popcorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:37 pm 

Becky, In this situation, I absolutely would do exactly what you're doing - make your own bag full of fun mix stuff. If you were dealing with good friends and family, assuming they are allergy aware, this would be totally different, but you can't possibly know if the other parents in a class full of kids will be allergy aware - some may go to bulk barn, etc. In my opinion, you are absolutely doing the right thing. I wish these food related events did not take place at school, but we find it continues. It is impossible to safely monitor these activites, and if you're not there, you're trusting the other parents, AND the kids (who might put their unclean hands in the bag) to provide a safe snack, and this is challenging. As long as you put some of your boys favourites in their own bags, that's about all you can do. Why are doing this - is it related to Valentine's Day?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:12 pm 

This is to celebrate the 100th day of school (tomorrow). There are food sharing parties on the 14th, I'm coordinating the parties for my kids 2 classes, and providing all of the baked goods. I am being extra cautious since one of my kids ended up in the ER the day after halloween. :(

I'm really scared of chocolates etc..taped to Valentine's day cards.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:47 am 

I would create my own mix as well. Other people's stuff might not have actual nuts, but could be may contain, or there could be cross contam from their own kitchen/hands/bags. DS's class is doing a friendship fruit salad for Valentine's and I am making his own. I just can't rely on other people's cutting boards and mixing bowls. Unfortunate, but he's ok with it as long as I get blueberries (you know, the 4.99 for a pint ones from Chile)! I am ok with the school doing this. I can't expect them to take all aspects of food out of celebrations, and the fact that they inform me in advance is something to be grateful for. I'd also rather the fruit salad than a party with chips, candy, pop and cake, for allergy and health reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:18 pm 

During Halloween a student in my co-workers sons class brought in treat bags for everyone. Patrick's bag was peanut free given his peanut allergy. However, every other bag contained a snickers bar loaded with peanuts. Apparently the parent did think it would be a big deal to give peanut products to all the other students. So, I have to agree that I would create your own mix. Cross contaim is definitely an issue. Also, you cannot trust that everyone would use peanut free products.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:27 am 

Send a letter to the school - just for their information
(see mine in Pancake Day string)
quoting Health Canada's reference to the bulk food items - and you can also include the unknown home containers/scoops/handlers etc. as an additional cross contamination issu

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies