You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allerject and insurance
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:28 am 

Our insurance covers prescriptions if they are covered by our provinces plan. So far Allerject is not covered.

I have been making phone calls and sending e-mails, and I can't even find out if Sanofi has applied for it. And is there anything the public can do to encourage the government to accept Allerject for coverage?

With two people in the family carrying epinephrine, coverage IS important.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:53 am 

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know which provinces cover it, and which don't? We purchase 8 epipens each yr, so I'm curious too!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:02 am 

It went through our plan in January, no problem. I used to work at a drug company, and there is a huge effort put into getting insurance coverage for any new medication - it is critical for the success of the drug. I am certain that they have applied for coverage everywhere. In some provinces they might only make the decisions quarterly, when the committee meets - so if you private plan is dependent on the province deciding, it might not be until the next quarter. If you call the customer service line for Sanofi they will be able to put you through to someone who can tell you!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:32 am 

Allison, there are two ways to find out if our provincial plan covers it. You can ask at a local pharmacy...they can look it up easily. You can look up your provinces formulary on-line. This is sometimes tricky. I have looked stuff up that I know is covered, and it doesn't show up. I recommend asking a pharmacist.

Momtobunches, thanks for that info. I did call Sanofi and though the CSR was helpful with other stuff, she knew nothing about insurance coverage.

Unfortunately, our epi-pens are all expiring now. I was hoping to hold off in the hopes the Allerject would get covered, but I don't think I can.

Fwiw, Ontario formulary page says nothing. Alberta formulary page says it's under review.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 pm 

Thx. Because all the teachers are trained on epipen, I'm a little hesitant to switch to a new system, but will investigate more.