You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sulfite and the Epi-pen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:49 pm 

I am very sensitive to sufites, but have not had to use my Epi-pen since this developed a couple of years ago.

I have reacted to: Communion wine (just a tiny bit)
frozen pastry (who would guess?)
dried fruit (near other holiday treats I was eating)
Saline w/ 1% Lidocaine (sufites in Lidocaine) during an
ultrasound procedure

I'm pretty good on avoidance, but what happens if I ever have to use the Epi-Pen?

>>Does anyone have the Sulfite problem that has used the Epi-Pen?

I have other food allegies and have recently developed an inhalant reaction, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:45 pm 

At the risk of sounding extremely dumb, I have to ask....

Is there a reason epi should not be used if you are allergic to sulfite? I thought it was just epinephrine in it. Is there sulfite in it?

Post subject: Re: Sulfite in Epi-Pen
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:18 pm 

Yes, most sources of epinephrine contain sulfite as a preservative.

The Epi-pen brand contains 0.30 mg Epi w/ 0.5 mg sodium metabisulfite. This is used as a preservative because Epi is very sensitive to light and heat. However, because I have been reacting to such tiny amts of sulfite in products, I fear having to use it. I have seen one journal article online about a woman who had a more severe reaction to the Epi than what she was originally in for...

There appears to be a sulfite-free Epi in vial form, used in hospital settings. My allergist said it would be difficult to write a scrip for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:33 pm 

I have heard of reactions to epi. I never really looked into the *why* of it. But, that makes sense.

Have you checked twinject? Is it the same as the epi-pen?

As for the vial used in hospitals - if it is light/heat sensitive you couldn't really carry it around easily. Also, you and anyone around you would need to be trained on proper injection technique.

Hmmm! I think I'm going to talk to my son about the epi he carries. He has vials and syringes in his medic bag for work. I will ask him if he has to be careful of temperatures, or if this stuff expires quickly. It will take a while though. He doesn't come home often - just sort of pops in and out occasionally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:41 am 

Daisy;
I have suphite allergy also. I never want to use my epi pen because it has sulphites in it. I was told to use it anyways...
Mainly I try to get the hospitial so they give me their medince if I have a severe reaction. I live 10 minutes from a hospitial and I am known by the Staff.
I can not have Communion Wine at all
I make my own dried friut with a deydrator as that way I have no sulphites. My sons have told me it tastes better. :D
I even wash and then dry my own grapes for raisins.
I was told back in the early 1980's that sulphites were bothering some peoples who have asthma. This is also shown in reasarch from Australia in th 1970's,I believe...
Gee that is long time ago...
metabsulphite is in lots of things in the stores, mustard, white flour, pastas, cookies, all kinds of things it is amazing how much.
Kelly

Post subject: Sus-phrine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:12 pm 

Hi,

In the US, the ER's have a brand of epinephrine called Sus-phrine. It appears to be sulfite-free. Try to ask for this if you ever need it at the hospital.

Yes, my allergist that diagnosed my sulfite allergy said to use the Epi-Pen if I have to...
I guess it's 6 of 1, half a dozen of another!

I had regular epinephrine once at the ER for a wasp sting, but I was not sensitive to sulfite then. This has just developed in the last 3 years. Lately, I have been fine with taking Benadryl and Prednisone for my reactions and just going to the ER "just in case."
My blood pressure has not dropped, and my heart rate is >100 bpm so they try not to use epinephrine. (Don't need a heart attack, too!)
I just go there for monitoring in case it gets worse. So far, so good.

Thanks for the post,
Daisy

P.S. Any other hidden sulfites you've found????
I know about breads, etc (especially any frozen pie crusts, rolls, etc...) Also, soft drinks w/ caramel coloring. I stay completely away from grapes and raisins. They spray the vines w/ sulfur, and I seem to react to that also. Yellow #5 causes a milder reaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:52 pm 

I don't have a sulfite allergy, but I *think* read somewhere (maybe in the AL magazine article?--they did an article on sulfites in the first issue) that glucose sometimes has sulfites, and it isn't listed in the ingredients! I guess it depends on how sensitive one is to sulfites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:15 am 

Thank God I came across this information about Epi-pen. I am extremely allergic to sulfa drugs, sulfites, etc. I have also come to realize how much I'm allergic to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate as well. It's in a HUGE amount of cosmetics, personal care products, and various other things that you would never think of. It's in many shampoos, conditioners, soaps, lotions, toothpastes.. it's actually very common... and it's even in benadryl and hydrocorazone cream, which I've used topically for allergy rashes. So if you're taking allergy medication or using the cream... check the label, especially the non-active ingredients. Since getting off this chemical, I feel SO MUCH BETTER! So check the labels of foods for preservatives that sound ANYTHING like sulfite, sulfate, etc. You will be very surprised at how much this chemical is widely used.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:59 pm 

I am allergic to sodium meta-bisulphite (preservative 223). Had my first reaction during labour on 2000 with my first child when administered an epidural which contained lignocaine and adrenalin - anaphylaxis was the last thing I needed!!!! Sodium metabisulphite is widely used in anaesthetics (medical & dental) as well as in stored adrenalin/epinephrine. I have found that many dentists, doctors and some anaesthatists are unaware of this. Very important to make sure that an alternative anaesthetic is used, and that if adrenalin is to be used that it is fresh, not stored. Here in Australia ambulance medics can administer adrenalin. This is stored adrenalin - the very thing they use to try to save your life could kill you. ALL the medical advice I have received points to one important thing - GET A MEDIC ALERT BRACELET - you may not be conscious and able to tell someone about your allergy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:24 pm 

If anyone has a metabisulfate allergy be very careful with hospitalization. Make sure you tell everyone about it and your reaction. Make them listen. It is in almost all IV medications as a preservative. I almost died because the anesthesiologist thought he knew more then head pharmacist and I who researched it prior to a surgery. We had a list of medication in the front of the chart that I could not have and he elected to give several any way. I had a serious drop in blood pressure and massive hives. Now before every surgery I have steroids just in case.

The drug of choice to treat shock with this allergy is vasopressin. It is becoming more common Watch Epi it depends on the manufacturer if it is present. I have to watch all ingredients in medications including the inactive ones, those are the ones that are going to hurt me. Good luck to everyone who has this allergy :banghead