You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 am 

Soooo.... over the years, it has been discussed here that Wendy's chicken nuggets are milk-free. Indeed, it has been the only fast food meal that we have ever trusted. Yesterday I went into the city, and decided to treat the kids to Wendy's. All was fine.

5 hours later, at supper, he noted that he was having trouble swallowing (his EoE flaring up?). I had prepared dinner from scratch, so no dairy anywhere. He went to ball practice. 1/2 hour later, he's calling me from the fieldhouse saying he's having a rxn, and he needs his Epi. I got there within 10 minutes, and he had already given it to himself! (So proud :huggy ) He even showed me the blood mark on his ball pants where it went through. Sadly, the rash was starting to overtake him so I rushed him off to the local Urgent Care (5 minutes). The doc noted his vitals were OK, but his throat was quite swollen (especially his uvula!) and he needed some Ventolin and O2 by mask. IV steroids, IV Benadryl - within 2 hours his full-body rash was gone, and his uvula had shrunk to about 1/2 of what it had been.

DH and I were very puzzled about what had happened, we had prepared supper together and at NO time was there any possibility of contamination. On a hunch, I went to the Wendy's website ... and suddenly "whey protein" is listed as a prominent ingredient for their chicken nuggets??!!! :banghead

Why the 5 1/2 hour delay? The ER doc dismissed this idea, but ever since he started on baked milk, he seems to have developed an exercise-induced allergy. He tolerates his cupcakes OK, but if he went to ball practice after, he would react. We figured that out after 2 instances and started to restrict the baked milk to bedtime only.

We believe this was an exercise-induced reaction to the chicken nuggets from lunch. I'm going to look into this more today, but that's all we can figure at this point.

Did I say how PROUD of him I am for giving himself the Epi? Been laying awake much of the night wondering what he might have done if our friend hadn't still been there watching practice - it's his phone that he used, and it's him that stayed with ds until we arrived.

Last edited by Momtobunches on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:40 am 

Hold the phone .... now that I am using the computer in the light of day, I see that last night I had looked at the Wendys.com website, not Wendys.ca

The Canadian website does not list milk as an ingredient, the .com version does. I'm going to have to call them for clarification... :dungetit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

That's great about him using the Epi.

I'd still suspect cross-contam. to trigger the exercise-induced reaction. Cross-contam. only takes one small mistake. Presume the food preparer was made aware of the allergy?