You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allerject is available!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:27 pm 

So the official launch is still a few weeks away, but I noticed at work today (I'm a pharmacist) that Allerject (aka Auvi-Q in the US) was available from the wholesaler. I ordered some, they came in same day, and my son will be taking it to school tomorrow!! :D It was like Christmas when the delivery guy arrived.

As it is "Schedule 2", in some provinces a pharmacist will be allowed to prescribe it - so that's why I was able to get one so quickly. In general, we only like to prescribe when there is a known history, so don't just go into any pharmacy and ask for one. Stick with the one you go to regularly. Price-wise it came out to slightly cheaper than the Epipen, and it went through our direct-bill insurance without any issues.

Slightly concerned that it is almost TOO small - will the teachers know to look in my son's front pocket when it has always been easily visible around his waist? How often is it going to fall out of his pocket when he changes for gym? Education will be required - at least for WHERE it's located, but little education will be required for its use ...

You can order a placebo device on their website http://www.allerject.ca

As an aside, the reason I'm switching to this one is because of my son's age - he is now in Junior High, wearing it is a bit of an image issue, and the staff at the school seem highly resistant to being told anything :banghead . At least with this device IT can tell them what to do. If he were still in elementary I would probably encourage him to stick with the Epipen as it is what the teachers are most comfortable with, and he had no problem wearing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:56 pm 

:happydance :happydance :happydance :happydance
I can't wait to get one!!!! I will have to wait until one of my epipens expires but I am ordering a trainer now!!!! So excited :bouncygreen

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:52 am 

Thanks for this post.

I just sent this information to the school board and also to the City so they know about the new device.

This is great news.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:17 am 

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the trainer. Can't wait to try it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 pm 
Site Admin

Awsome!
:thanksign

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:31 pm 

Thanks! Hadn't heard about this, but will look into it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:45 pm 

Thanks for posting this! I've requested a trainer... so good to have a trainer on hand!! Really looking forward to seeing what it looks like as I've read articles in the past (most recently in Allergic Living :-) )

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:00 pm 

So I got the Sanofi rep to drop off a few trainers today - so excited! I'm going to be demonstrating it to all my patients. I asked a few questions:

Regarding the dropping - she said those studies have been done, and they will be getting more information about that at their launch meeting in a few weeks but it appears it is durable in that respect. They will be coming out with a type of case - she saw a picture, but thinks it might be something like an old cell phone case that attaches to a beltloop.

Best news of all ... they will be setting up a booth at some of the Alberta Teachers Conferences in February!!!! :happydance If other provinces do his type of thing, I'm sure it's happening all across Canada. She wasn't sure that many teachers would bother coming by, but we both thought that because it was something new and cool, word of mouth just might bring them over for a look. That's reassuring to me since I can't seem to get any of his Jr High teachers interested in learning about how to keep him safe (milk products are seriously everywhere in that school....)

My son's been out of school since he got the Allerject, but he will take it and the trainer to school on Monday to show his friends. I will update after with some of the feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

How hard will it be to get the schools on board with this? Remember the issue some people had with Twinject? Hopefully, the schools will be receptive since Allerject actually talks them through the injection.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:04 pm 

I just received my trainer today. It is smaller than I thought it would be, as small as my ipod nano! I won't have a problem fitting two of these in my pocket so I can carry them on me at work :) - My only concern would be that it might be too small and therefore get lost easily or be harder to find in a purse/backpack for little kids.
I love the voice to talk me through the injection, I think this will be very helpful in an emergency. As for teachers, I would gladly accept this over an epipen since it talks and it would be easier for me to carry on field trips.

Allergic to: Tree nuts, percocet, toradol, environmental allergies and chemical allergies
Migraines caused by scented products, barometric pressure

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:15 pm 

I just received our trainer this week too! I LOVE the design, and our kids loved how it speaks to you! I think teachers would really appreciate the verbal instructions. Sarah388, that's a good point about where to carry the device when children are at school. Right now, teachers and other staff are accustomed to students wearing their Epipens around their waist. Something to think about for sure! But I love the smaller size, which means it can be carried more easily.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:42 pm 

Our health nurse will go to schools to train staff on Allerject if requested. My child is going on a school trip so the Principal has already requested the Allerject training as my child will carry both Allerject and Epipens. I may also ask her best friend to carry an Allerject as a backup --- never would have asked that with the cumbersome Epipen.

I have had the Allerject for a couple weeks and show everyone! It fits in my cell phone case (by Roots).

Very glad to hear that people are getting their trainers :banana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:47 pm 

I got my trainer in the mail too and am very impressed. My coworker was pretty excited to try it out too. I am now on a quest to train as many people as I can. Next stop, my fitness instructors who are also firefighters.

I got a prescription for Allerject and filled it today. I will carry both injectors until the Allerject becomes more common and more people recognize it. For running, the Allerject will be so much more comfortable to carry because it is slimmer than EpiPens. So exciting!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

My daughter really enjoyed the trainer. She practiced it about 10 times in a row. I think she enjoyed 'stabbing my husband and I. :rofl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, here's a blog post and story by Vancouver Sun medical journalist Pamela Fayerman on the Allerject: http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/02/0 ... -of-cards/