You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Carnaval
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:15 pm 

We just received a school letter indicating "Carnaval" in the school. Each day there is to be a different activity and I was surprised to see no food associated with each day.

However, the punch line was at the end of the letter - each day had some sort of competition factor that would result in a pizza party for the winning class!

This letter has already gone out to the entire school, so I am now too late for this year. I hope my son's class doesn't win.

Any suggestions for class prizes next year? (I'm suspecting the weekly pizza company donates the prize)

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

Post subject: Re: Carnaval
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

:( Ugh! I hate when they do that. I have told our principal that I will never support anything that might increase my daughter's risk of exposure to allergens.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:50 pm 
Site Admin

Ugh! I hate this sort of thing. Let me see what I can come up with.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:30 pm 

Here are some alternatives to winning that we've used at my son's school

an extra recess...
a gameboard (or 2) donated to the classroom...
a movie afternoon...
a bin of recess equipment (balls, hoops, scoops, skipping ropes)...

boys' mom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:40 pm 

I remember getting a field trip as rewards for things. It was usually something simple like going to a movie or visiting the fire hall but super fun no less! A couple of times per year the kids who earned the highest number of points were given a field trip to the water park which was super awesome. There are so many alternatives to food rewards and kids will remember them better too!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

I asked our Facebook page readers to offer suggestions and this is what I found:
-movie time, free dress day[s]-if uniform is worn to school, extra recess-if elemntary, dance party in classroom with music,
-maybe a PJ day with a movie, Work with a local theater to donate movie passes. Win/win for them, parents will buy a ticket to go with their child, the kids are excited about winning a ticket,
-DVD movie in class, electronics day, spend part of the day at a nearby park (splash pad or skating rink),
-extra recess, free homework passes, kickball with the principal, basketball with the vice principal, anything related to teachers and staff....no food, win time in the gym for games or an indoor recess basket
-with new board games and such for the class room,
-promoting literacy or health so love the extra gym time and dance party ideas! For literacy get to buy books from scholastic for the classroom library,
-If you ask kids if they would rather have pizza or more recess/library time most kids pick fun vs food. Lets be real, most kids eat pizza at least twice a week or sometimes more, it's not special. And giving food as reward is sending the WRONG message and its why Americans spend billions each year on fast food and gym memberships!
-Pj day is a great idea!
-Extra recess is a big hit for our classes.
-Our school has special recess time in the gymnasium or outside, Wii/technology parties, or a movie for the winning class. For the movie kids bring their own snack and 5th grade gets to bring sodas too.
-Our school eliminated the pizza party and donated board games to the winning classrooms. They also did another reward for extra recess time :) Yay for no food rewards!! Benefits ALL children!
:bouncyblue