You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:06 am 

Hi
Wondering if you can help me understand what's going on with my 2 1/2 year old twin boys. A brief history - born at 30 weeks, one needed some breathing help briefly, both history of reflux, one was suspected of dairy issues and was on special formula and no dairy for about 18 months but is now 'fine' still has mild eczema. Allergy tests showed very mild reaction to egg, (2) but i have had no trouble with this really, except both sometimes get a red mouth after mayo! The other (one who needed cpap at birth)has a history of dealing with colds worse than his brother ie gets croup easily. At Christmas we spent a day in hospital having ventolin regularly to get his oxygen up after a nasty bout of colds/rsv. Then it happened again so the dr gave us montelukast and said he would probably have asthma given his history and mine with asthma and allergies but that for now it would be 'viral wheeze' since they no longer diagnose asthma under in 5s. This twin also has mild eczema.

Both are unbearably bad sleepers, particularly when teething or have minor illnesses which seems like most of the time, but on the whole are very active, healthy and eat well.

Straight off the back of the colds at christmas they both got chicken pox. The cough started a few days before, and is still going 5 weeks later, and they are still 'itchy! Itchy!' Even though the pox have long healed. They had pox in their mouths which are now ulcers. The twin with the 'asthma' has a bout of coughing every night, which makes him gag and we have been given a preventative inhaler. He is not wheezy or snotty, no infections. He is also scratching his torso a lot in the middle of the night . When both wake from their naps they are both so miserable and scratching for an hour after. They don't do this in the morning though. They recently had new mattresses and beds, which I have vacuumed and washed etc. Their eczema is not obviously any worse, and not even where they are scratching!

Sorry if this is so much information, I'm not sure what's relevant and what's not, I just wondered if chicken pox can turn mild allergies into worse ones!!?

And, can the preventative inhaler be causing my son to wake early and a bit cranky?!

Thanks for listening!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hello! Glad you found us. Wow, that's a lot for them and you! I understand how difficult it is to decide which information is important and which isn't. It's probably all important to some extent.

I'm not a doctor and I advise you to take them to the Dr for a proper assessment, but I can tell you:

The asthma controler medication can be linked to Thrush a yeast infection of the tongue and mouth lining. It is important to have them rince their mouths after taking their controller puffers. I do this with my daughter by having her make her meds part of her teeth brushing routine.

Chickenpox is linked to shingles where the virus lingers in the nerves and presents as pain and itching before the rash appears but it usually happens some time later so I don't think it's this.

Yes, I think that ilness or emotional stress can increase our sensativity to allergens. You have changed their bedding, but have you considered other environmental allergens. Things like temperature, humidity amd perspiration can be factors.

Keep a diary of the symptoms, when they occur, how they present etc. This might make the cause more clear.

Meantime, why not check out this article on asthma and air quality?
http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... lity-pt-1/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:26 pm 

Hi twintoddle, That's a lot of information you've posted. Quickly reading through your post, I really think that it's best that you ask a doctor. It's always best to have a professional opinion. I would recommend checking out this website: http://bit.ly/Tmvwac You can ask questions for free about your health and your child's health. Good luck, and I hope you will find it useful!