You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:54 pm 

I have been recently diagnosed with most likely shellfish allergy. This morning, our cat licked me and I broke out in red splotches around the area :frightened I hadn't considered cat food!

Does anyone else with shellfish allergies have a pet cat and know allergen free food brands? Or do I just avoid being licked from now on?

Seasonal allergies and allergies to perfume

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:08 am 

Hi, I have shellfish/crustacean anaphylaxis. After I was diagnosed with the allergy we had to be sooooo careful around the cat food. I called everywhere and even if it was not an ingredient in a particular flavour, there was a high high risk of cross contamination because of shared lines etc. Including dry food. While our old cat was still with us I used to wear vinyl disposable gloves when I, myself, fed him. Wiped the knife and plate off with paper towel and then immediately hand washed them and then put them in the dishwasher. Same as you, I had to be so careful he did not lick me. Casey lived another 3 years and this procedure was done daily. I feel for you. It is hard when your loved pet's food is a danger to you. :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:17 pm 

Have you called Champion Pet Foods (Acana/Orijen)? None of their foods contain shellfish as a major ingredient but it's worth seeing if there could be traces (i.e. wild salmon often eat shrimp). It's a high quality food and our cats love it. I know these two brands are made in their own facility.

I don't know too much about Blue Buffalo food but it's another high quality food that doesn't specifically list shellfish as a major ingredient in their wet or dry foods.

Worth checking out.