You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:46 pm 

I am 19 and anaphylactic to all fish and shellfish. Thankfully, most of my friends and family have gone above and beyond to make sure I'm safe, even our local convenience store we're regulars at knows me and wipe the counters when I come in! :D However, I feel the most unsafe around my mother, and I live at home. Some examples:

(At a restaurant)
Mom: "My daughter is allergic to shellfish"
Me: "Uhh mom, I'm allergic to all seafood..."
Mom: "Really?!"
----------
Mom: "I picked up fish sticks for dinner! Is that ok?" :banghead
Me: "No....I'm allergic to that."
Mom: "But it's not shellfish!"
Me: "I'm allergic to all fish"
---------
Last night I went out to get juice and I discovered she had not only been cooking shrimp, but peeled them and left the shells ALL OVER the stove and counter. Her only response was a shrug and an "oops. Mistakes happen"
my brother cleaned it up and cloroxed the crud out of the counter for me. I understand mistakes happen, but well.......thats a life threatening mistake and it scares me :freak

What on earth do I do?!?!

Seasonal allergies and allergies to perfume

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

I've seen this before. I have a good friend who's mom always thinks about my daughter's allergies but never seems to remember her own daughter's. It might feel like she doesn't care but I suspect that she cares so much that her fear is not letting your diagnosis sink in.

Check out this article, especially, page 4. http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... ud/?page=1

It's NOT ok for you to be at risk in your own home. You will probably have to sit down and have a heart to heart with her.

I'm not sure where you are but, you can also contact whyriskit.ca a website for teens and young adults.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:37 am 

I agree with Susan. It sounds like she's in denial, and just doesn't want this to be true. Good luck. Maybe you can direct her to read some posts here. Once she sees that even though it's not nice to have this diagnosis, but that it is manageable, hopefully she'll change her ways. I wish you all the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:19 pm 

How long have you had these allergies? And has she always been this way?

Just seems odd to have such blatant disregard especially if you have had them for a while. Hopefully this is not the case with your mother, but for us, when the memory loss started with my motherinlaw it affected her view of the allergies. It wasn't just memory loss about it but more like "this isn't going to inconvenience me" attitude. We had to make some hard decisions about it.

I wish you well and hope that a heart-to-heart will sink in with her. Or a visit with your Allergist or a local support group leader perhaps.