You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:10 pm 

My daughter has recently been diagnosed with a severe allergy to a very common chemical found in all sorts of things from medication to common disinfectant cleaners. We discovered her allergy after the school nurse gave her Visine eye drops without notifying me first. After meeting with an allergist and confirming the allergy I spoke with the school to inform them of her allergen. I was told that my middle school student was going to have to know what she could and could not take as far as medications because they had no way of documenting it ( their words). And there was nothing they could do to eliminate the chemical within the classrooms. So if a teacher decides to wipe a desk with Clorox or spray Lysol spray my child will have an anaphylactic reaction but there is nothing they can do about it. This really frustrates me because the school has a plan in place to deal with food allergies but won't budge for this.

Daughter (12) benzalkonium Chloride

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:53 pm 

How frustrating. I wonder if there are alternatives to the cleaners you mentioned that don't contain the chemical? I wonder if they are mandated by the school board to use certain tpes of cleaners? Is there a public health nurse that could advise you? I assume in middle school the kids move from class to class? Would it be an option to ask her teachers individually to use an alternative cleaning product?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

That's just wrong! What province/state do you live in? The nurses shoukd be able to flag your daughter as having severe allergies and they shoukd not give anything with out checking the ingredients first.

If there is no system in place, it's time to implement one. Are there any cleansers that you can recommend the school to use?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:20 pm 

We live in Pennsylvania. The school is well equipped to deal with food allergies but considers this to be a drug allergy, one that is consumed and simply avoided. They are not recognizing the fact that it is actually difficult to avoid this chemical on a day to day basis.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Pennsylvania' s laws specify "food allergies", something that needs to be changed. Luckily, the Office of Civil Rights is federal and recognizes anaphylaxis as a disability regardless of the allergen source. Request a 504 and don't accept an IHP instead. (Although, an IHP in addition is OK)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:47 pm 

I'm so frustrated for you! 'We can't' is just another way of saying 'we can't be bothered to'.

Excellent advice by Susan.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:00 pm 

Well, we made it several weeks without another incident from the school but during the last week of school we had 2 issues. Still not getting anywhere with the school. The home ec class did a u it on cleaning and sure enough every product contained my daughters allergen. She approached the teacher and " reminded " her of the allergy. The teachers solution was to have my daughter stand in the corner while the entire class sprayed the products. I emailed the teacher and attached the principal on the email and never got a response. Then, on the second to last day of school, her home room teacher decided to have the students clean the desks. Once again, my daughter reminds her teacher of the allergy. This teachers response was " well you will just have to sit on the floor today." After 10 minutes or so the teacher yells at her and tells her to sit at her desk. We have a couple of doctor appointments this summer and I am hoping to get some guidance from them. If this continues next year is it wrong of me to pursue legal counsel?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

That's just wrong to treat your daughter like that.

While not common, this is a documented sensitivity and you have a doctor saying it is an anaphylaxis or asthma trigger. You should be able to get a 504 disability plan with such a health condition.

See:
- http://foodallergyadvocate.com/?p=114
- http://www.foodallergy.org/advocacy/disability

If the school isn't receptive when you raise this, there are lawyers who are experts on disabilities law and the school system.

FYI, when speaking with officials, Allergic Living always counsels being firm but calm and fair. e.g. Don't go in in the moment you're extremely frustrated or it can go badly. Make an appointment, think through what you'll ask for; prepare your talking points.

You may have already done this, but I just mention in case helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:08 am 
Site Admin

:( That teacher is bullying your daughter!
You might find this interesting.
http://www.wrightslaw.com/blog/?p=58

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:11 pm 

Are you saying that they sprayed products with her allergen while she was in the classroom?

Did you ever read this story about a teacher who kept lighting a scented candle even though a student was allergic to it? http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1982610 ... ted-candle