You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ice cream!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:13 pm 

Ever since I was diagnosed with having an allergy to peanuts and tree nuts in November, I, like eveyone else in this forum became a label reader.
I quickly realised that the freedom I had for 33 yrs to eat anything, anywhere, had come to a full stop.
I get excited now when I find an item in the store that I can actually eat!
I get excited when I go out and eat cautiously, and dont have an adverse reaction!
I get frustrated when I read a gourmet bottle of salsa, and read the label "manufactured in a.....".....
I found some really cool sauces, condiments last weekend. My excitment was quickly extinguished when I read the labeling.
I wanted to smash the bottle on the ground!!
Good thing my husband was there!
I can deal with my "new found allergy".
Mostly though I feel so badly for him.
If I am restricted, same goes for him.
He is taking it all in good stride.
And I appreciate his understanding.
He is hoping, as much as I am that may be, just maybe it will just go away. Not likely, but maybe!I miss my gelato. It was my one big treat!
I know Chapmans makes icecream that is safe for me to eat...
But i dont like their flavours! :cry:
I went to Sears the other day and found a "hand-crank" ice cream maker on sale for 24$$
Thankfully, both my husband and I are great cooks...and last night we made Mango Iceream......
OOoohhhhh, it was soooo orgasmic!!
Woops!
Can I use that word on this forum? If not, soory in advance!
I must say though, in everything that happens in life, we have to take the bad witht he good.......
The "good" here is that we are most definetly eating way better at home. And more home cooked meals VS eating out.
Anyway, thought I 'd share that with you!
I am going to check on my Potatoe-Rosemary bread with carmelised onions.....
Wish you could all smell my home!!!!
Shairose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Your post made me think of the 5 stages of grief. In a way we have all had to deal with the death of the old way of life and the loss of the freedom to just pick something up off a plate and eat it without thinking. We have also had to face our own mortality or the mortality of a loved one.
It sounds as though you have moved quickly to acceptance and are busy rebuilding your life. Good for you.

5 STAGES OF GRIEF

1) DENIAL
In the denial stage we refuse to believe what has happened. We try in our mind to tell ourselves that life is as it was before our loss.

2) ANGER
We get angry. The anger can manifest itself in many ways. We can blame others for our loss. We can become easily agitated having emotional outbursts. We can even become angry with ourselves.

3) BARGAINING
Bargaining can be with ourselves or if you are religious with your god. Often we will offer something to try to take away the reality and pain of what has happened.

4) DEPRESSION
Depression is a very likely outcome for all people that grieve for a loss. This is what I would consider the most difficult stage of the five to deal with. There can be a the feeling listlessness and tiredness. You may be wandering around in a daze thinking that you are feeling numb. You may be bursting helplessly into tears. Feeling like there is no purpose to life any more. Feeling guilty, like everything is your own fault. You may find you feel like you are being punished. Pleasure and joy can be difficult to achieve even from things and activities which you have always gained delight. There can even be thoughts of suicide. There are many different ways in which this stage of grief can manifest itself. If you at any time in this stage feel like doing yourself any harm please do seek professional counseling. Self preservation is a must.

5) ACCEPTANCE
The final stage of grief. It is when you realize that life has to go on. You can here accept your loss. You should now be able to regain your energy and goals for the future. It may take some time to get here but you will.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:05 pm 

Susan,
I never quite thought of it that way until I read your reply!
Thank you.
Shairose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:34 pm 

I am definitely in the acceptance phase now ( it has almost been two years ), and I agree that it is a grieving process. You feel like the life you thought you would have is gone... and you need to adjust. It was a big shock to realize that restaurants were out, so was most easy, prepackaged food, so was letting others cook for you and your children. At least it forces us to be mindful of what we eat. I heard the other day that due to the large amount of preservatives that most people eat in a lifetime...when they die it takes REALLY long for their bodies to deteriorate. You are infact what you eat, and they preserve you. Just thought I'd share that disgusting tidbit of info. :wink:

In the long run, those of us who are forced into making our own meals, and watching what we put into our bodies are bound to be rewarded with good physical health which will translate into feeling better emotionally and a better life in general! So, I can not order pizza twice a week...maybe I'll live to be in good health and live to see my grandkids grow up and have children of their own., and hopefully be in the position to play with them too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:15 pm 

I can relate---I've never wanted to eat things with nuts because I've always been allergic, but the wheat allergy is tough sometimes. One Easter I actually dreamed that I was eating hot cross buns. My mother makes them every year. It doesn't take an analyst to realise that that was a wish fulfillment dream :) When I was home at Christmas, my sister was making a lot of bread with her new breadmaker....I threatened to do a wheat challenge (I was joking....sort of.)

I've come to terms with having a more limited diet...but I have not yet come to terms with the fact that travelling anywhere takes so much preparation. And I wish I could have the freedom that comes from being able to eat out on occasion. The environmental allergies get me down sometimes----nothing really alleviates them that much, and my allergist and respirologist have tried me on a lot of different meds. My allergist even sent me for a CT scan to see if there was any other problem that could be causing nasal blockage--there wasn't. I just have sinusitis (for the whole year). I can live with environmental allergies and mild chemical sensitivities, but I know that I would probably feel better overall and be more rested without them. This summer was the worst---so I got serious about doing Pilates (with a video) and cycling (when it wasn't smoggy). The excercise did help me feel a bit better although it hasn't done anything for the allergic rhinitis!

Shairose, like you I try to make an extra effort to enjoy the food that I can eat. Last spring, for instance, I went to an herb fair in Toronto and have been enjoying fresh herbs on occasion since then. (Not all of my plants survived. But oregeno, sage, and rosemary have done well. I have them in pots. I shouldn't even have any plants in the apartment, because of a mould allergy, but that's another issue.)

Right now I'm still in school, but when I get a job I figure I'm going to treat myself by having a budget for all those things which I don't spend money on because of the allergies and spend it on something special.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Helen, occasionally I'm eating shrimp in a dream and they are still so good...

But, as I'm heavily into acceptance, Shairose, I wondered if you'd share your mango ice cream recipe with us under "Recipes/Cooking"? Many of us would be interested, especially given your "enthusiastic" :wink: endorsement.