You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Brownie Camp Planning
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:51 pm 

I am hoping some of you can make suggestions or direct me to blogs/links to some foods that kids love to eat. I am planning the menu for our Brownie camp this year and am drawing a blank for foods that kids like and are suitable for the longest list of allergies I've ever had to deal with. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Here is the list of allergens we need to avoid (no traces!) or offer alternatives for:
peanuts
tree nuts
dairy
egg
soy
garlic, beef, cucumber, red pepper, chilli powder, raspberries, cherries, and more... (gotta love those blood tests...)

So far we have: fruit kebabs (melon, apple, pear, pineapple, grapes), Enjoy Life cookies and No Nuttin granola bars for snacks; Enjoy Life cereal with various milks for breakfast, pancakes for breakfast another day, wraps or sandwiches (maybe) for lunch, and Tinkyada pasta with homemade marinara sauce for supper.

We're struggling with the lunch options because finding wraps or bread that is dairy/egg/soy/nut-free is proving to be very tricky. (other than making it myself, which is out of the question with 30 people at camp and my very busy schedule)

Soup maybe? But what if the weather is hot... the kids won't want to eat soup. I don't know too many kids who will eat salad, stir fry, or beans. What about tacos - do they make dairy/egg/soy/nut-free taco shells?

I'm also vegan and the cook, so anything overly meaty is out. Stores near me are: Save on Foods, Sobeys, Safeway, and Superstore.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited to add: beans/legumes, peas, and lentils are also on the list now...

Last edited by spacecanada on Fri May 24, 2013 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

It's hard to findbread or wrP that don't contain soy. Could you ask the parents what they use?
You can always make couscous or bulgar. Equal amounts or boiling water and grain. Cover and let sit 15 minutes for couscous or 1 hour for bulgar. You can experiment with flavoured liquids.
What about baked apples? Core the apple, place butter ( or alternative), brown sugar and sprinkle of cinnamon into the cavety. Wrap in foil and place in fire.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:24 am 

That is a long list! I agree with Susan - ask the parents avoiding soy and dairy what brands of bread and wraps they buy. We are avoiding many of the same allergens, but the soy is only certain forms and the egg/dairy is mild so we eat may contains. What about Daiya cheese alternative for something like Mac and cheese?? What if you make sandwiches ahead of time, and they have different fillings for different kids? I know that's not ideal, but avoiding trace amounts of dairy and egg and soy is nearly impossible, hence why we eat traces of all three. Sometimes I do jam sandwiches, which I know is not nutritious, but on whole wheat bread plus a vegetable, it's not terrible. . . Good for you try to accommodate everyone!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:49 am 

hank you for the help!

Well, the parents of kids with these allergens are giving me brands that contain their child's allergens. I cannot bring myself to give a kid with soy allergy bread that actually contains soy. I'd probably have a panic attack in doing so. Daiya is out because I've just found out the soy/dairy allergic child is also allergic to peas, lentils, and legumes. (We have other kids with soy/dairy allergies that can have Daiya.)

(Speaking of which, I am totally having a grilled Daiya cheese sandwich for lunch! Thanks for the idea.)

I'm going to check the grocery store today to see if I can find taco shells without soy or dairy in them. At least we can do refried beans (for all but that one kid), fried ground chicken (not me), shredded lettuce, tomato, Daiya for all but one kid, and salsa. That, or that one kid gets a taco salad with corn tortilla chips (I have corn-only tortilla chips.)

Any other snack food suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:14 pm 

Yikes - maybe some of the soy kids are not allergic to soy oil or soy lecithin? I have heard of people like that. . .

Would nonuttin.com work? Unsure if they are free of traces of everything, but check it out. Their bars and granola are both very good.

Popcorn? Or I'd go with more fruit as snacks, like every snack is fruit.

Our corn tortillas had soy oil, and may contain dairy - these are the organic house brand ones from Whole Foods.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:16 pm 

Popcorn - excellent idea! I always forget about popcorn. We're also getting SunRype fruit to go bars as snacks (no cherry or raspberry flavours - and apparently traces of those are okay).

The NoNuttin stuff is all PN/TN/egg/dairy/gluten/wheat/soy-free (no traces!) and we plan to bring several of their granola bars and possibly a bag of their cereal with us.

Can you believe a parent complained that we had too much fruit and veggies at our last camp? Ha!

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

Foil wrapped dinners.

On a square of tinfoil, place sliced potatoes, veggies and add whatever meat you choose. Salt and pepper, basically your choice of seasonings and fold one corner over to make a triangle. Twist the edges over several times to make a strong seal. Then repeat the tinfoil process so it is sealed well. Place the food onto the hot coals and cook for 40 minutes or so. There are tons of these recipes on line.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:43 pm 

With the current fire ban (despite recent rain), we're shying away from things that need to be cooked over/in the fire. We still have lots of aluminium foil, just in case. :)

I did most of the dry goods shopping today. I think we are good. Fruits and veggies shopping will be on Thursday.

Tortilla crisps and hard taco shells were easy to find as corn only - two of three brands I looked at were safe. I couldn't find garlic/red pepper/chilli-free salsa, so that one kid will have to go without - there will be six other safe salad ingredients to choose from.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I think we're going to have a great camp this coming weekend.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:34 pm 

Glad you were able to find some safe products. Have a great time! Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:07 pm 

I'm impressed you are doing the whole cooking job! I am actually sitting planning my son's alternative beaver camp meals right now.

You could do some sort of burgers you assemble yourself in advance (pork?) and instead of a bun use the plain round rice cakes. We also use those as pizza crusts when necessary (they are actually decent when softened)

A big batch of self made frozen chicken fingers - maybe with some suitable dipping sauce

Pancakes - you can easily dig up a safe recipe with substitutions - topped with maple syrup disguises anything.

Check out guacamole and salsa dips for vegetables.

daughter 2011: severe eczema, no allergies

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:42 pm 

Camp went great! The kids loved the food and one kid even asked us 'is everything we are eating healthy' and we were happy to tell her that it was. She replied with 'it's soooo good!' I love kids.

Taco salad was probably the biggest hit of the whole weekend. Kids were literally jumping up and down when we told them what was for lunch. Who knew...

Another highlight was spaghetti that night. Not so much the spaghetti itself, but the 'Monk's meal' twist we added. If they talked or giggled their utensils would be taken away and they would have to eat with their hands. If they talked or giggled again they had to eat without their hands. They were way too serious and quiet at first so I stirred the pot and all the girls started giggling. We had spaghetti sauce everywhere: in hair, ears, noses, and all over their faces. Super fun!

Thanks everyone for the tips.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:09 am 

Great news! You sound like a fantastic brownies leader!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:28 am 

You're awesome! Sounds like a terrific time! :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:07 am 
Site Admin

Yeah! Glad it went well. You gave those kids a lesson, not just in camping and self-sufficiency; you taught them that you don't have to give up fun to be safe!

I wish there was a badge for you!
:banana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:35 am 

I'm so glad that everything went well and all the children were included. What an awesome job you did! I hope that when my DD is in Brownies that she'll have a great leader like you.