You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:32 am 

My daughter tried the homemade coconut curry rice when she came home from work. All ingredients had been tried previously but this time her bottom lip began swelling in minutes. She really wasn't eager to have an Epipen but my gut said it was time. The swelling quickly began receding. She discovered the Epipen does not really hurt and will be less intimidated about it in the future. First time in almost 21 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:27 am 

Cathie,

I'm glad your daughter is ok. I'm sorry she had a reaction after all this time. I'm glad you posted this though, as it is a reminder of how we can never let our guard down. I havn't had a reaction in probably 25 years now, and it's in large part because I'm hyper-vigilant. I'm starting to be a bit more relaxed about eating out etc., but I'm never totally calm. So this is good for me to hear that yes, I still have to be careful. Wishing you and your daughter all the best and I hope you get another 21 years (and more!!!) of clean sailing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:18 pm 

I'm so sorry this happened, but 'glad' things went smoothly for both of you. It is good that she is less afraid of the epipen now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hope your daughter's feeling much better – and also that you two are able to figure out the trigger.

It's so true that we get a lot less scared of the auto-injector when we've had to use it. You might say it's the one bright side to a reaction.

Best to her!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:13 am 

Thank you for the supportive comments. My daughter was back to normal the following day. We are guessing the trigger was probably the curry powder. She says she remembers feeling somewhat off when she had it in the past.
We would like to do more testing to see if there are new allergies especially since she will be in her own space and cooking for herself at university. Can something like curry be included in a skin test? What is the latest view of the accuracy of skin tests?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Interesting that it was the curry powder. My daughter has nixed curry powder as a spice in our house because of how it makes her mouth feel.

Curry is a mix of other spices. You could contact the manufacturer and see if you can track down the allergen.

I agree with Gwen. With each reaction, we can to trust our ability to recognize and respond appropriately.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 pm 

We saw the GP yesterday and now have a referral to an allergist for further testing.
In the meantime I have called or emailed each company that made an ingredient in the coconut curry recipe. This includes the curry powder, dairyfree coconut milk and the oil. Will be interesting to see responses. Hopefully we will be able to pinpoint the trigger.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:46 pm 

I received a followup from all three companies today. All assured me that their products did not come into contact with peanuts or nuts.
After googling curry and peanut allergy, the name of a plant kept coming up. Has anyone heard of fenugreek? The online information suggests that people with peanut and nut allergies may react to fenugreek too. Has anyone heard of this?
I called the spice company and found that this is indeed one of the ingredients in the curry spice. I am going to see if we can have this be one of the ingredients we test for reactivity for when we get in to see the allergist.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:20 am 

Fenugreek is a common spice used in Indian cooking. My family is Indian and I've eaten the spice my whole life without reaction - I'm allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. I only found out that it could cause a reaction about four years ago when I was researching increasing my breast milk supply and looked at fenugreek. Because of the potential for reaction, I didn't use it but I've continued to eat dishes that contain it - with no reaction.

All that to say, it could be that that spice caused your daughter to react. Hope you get a definitive answer soon.