You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:52 pm 

I will be travelling to Scotland with my 6 yr old in June. He has a severe dairy allergy. I am trying to find out what I can and cannot take to that country in regards to food items. I would like to take as many safe foods and snack that I possibly can. Can anyone refer me to resources? My allergist was no help at all, his response "just make sure you ask, ask, ask" yeah thanks Doc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:11 pm 

asking Customs would probably be the way to from my point of view. You can call Government of Canada helpline or website and they can help (http://www.canada.gc.ca/ )... I would say it's safer for you to ask them directly than to rely on us about something like this. (straight to the source is always safer!)

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:27 pm 

Warden,

Since you are bringing food into the UK, you can get info by contacting the British High Commission in Ottawa.

Phone: (613) 237 1530

Email: generalenquiries@britainincanada.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:22 pm 

thanks! I have been on a ton of different site and have had no luck. I also have a call into my MP. I have had no responses yet. I just thought that perhaps someone has already been through this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:21 pm 

Just remember that you need to contact UK authorities, not Canadian ones... because you are bringing food INTO the UK. So the representative for the UK in Canada is the High Commission in Ottawa. Plus, PAmum posted some UK links for you in the Travel section.

I travel to the UK a few times a year. I don't have allergies but my son does (nuts and peanuts). When he travelled to the UK 2 years ago, he was only there for 5 days so I didn't bring much. Plus, I have my own place there so we didn't eat out very often.

From Canada, I brought foods such as Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers and Kraft Dinner. I didn't declare these though but I'm sure it won't be a problem if you bring packaged food. I think you would have problems bringing in fresh or frozen meat and fresh fruits and vegetables. I always bring maple syrup, chocolates, microwave popcorn, bubble gum and cookies in my luggage and I never declare them. I've never been asked either, even when I used to enter with my Canadian passport. I have a European one now so entering the UK is a breeze. I still recommend you double check with the British High Commission before you leave.

I've been to Scotland a few times (Edinburgh and Glasgow). The main grocery stores are Sainsbury's and Tesco. Their products have excellent labelling for allergens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:51 am 

Thanks again Storm;
We are reluctant about the U.K. because we were at the AAIA Conference in Barrie and we went to food lableing workshop with Dr. Ham Pong. Were were left with the impression that the U.K. did not have a great lableing system. I am nervous, however I plan to stick to the basics.
Thanks again. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:38 pm 

I live part of the year in the UK and I find it quite the opposite. The products I buy are always labelled for allergens. I can't speak for dairy because I don't look out for this but I have seen pastas and sauces with labels "manufactured in a plant that processes peanuts, nuts.. products" or something to that effect.

If you are going to grocery shop, stick to the major stores, like Tesco and Sainsbury's.

Last year I ordered a booklet from Sainsbury's titled "Nut Free" which is a product guide for all of Sainsbury's own label foods. They even mailed me their Xmas Nut Free List.

Tesco also has clear labelling on their own label foods. I need to check if they have similar literature to Sainsbury's, but I did notice that they are very specific about their labelling.

The Sainsbury's allergy information page is here:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/food/specia ... rances.htm

Here is the list of their milk-free products (67 pages!):

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/NR/rdonlyre ... lkfree.pdf

Have a great trip and enjoy bonnie Scotland!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:14 pm 

I found this info on the Air Canada website:

Travelling to the United Kingdom? Check the rules before you take any food items with you.

It is against the law to bring any meat or dairy products into the UK from countries outside Europe. Restrictions also apply to many other food items, including fish, shellfish, eggs and honey as well as certain plants and vegetables.

Controls on food imports are essential to protect British livestock and agriculture from pests and disease not found in the UK - and may also protect your own health.

Check the rules at http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/illegali/default.htm before you travel and avoid severe delays, prosecution and fines on arrival in the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:29 am 

Hi! My son is anaphylactic to dairy and we live in the UK but are from the US. I find the labelling to be very good and getting better. Earlier advice about Tesco and Sainsburys is good -- Sainsburys is also beginning to lable for "made in a facility that handles milk" as well. You can find soy and rice milk there if that is what he drinks. I have brought all kinds of food in to the country. The general rule is that you cannot bring in anything fresh - most of the airports have sniffer dogs to check this. I have not had any problem with anything packaged. Enjoy your visit!