You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:24 pm 

I am new to the unknown allergies. It started a couple months ago, I wake up to an allergic reaction. One of these reactions sent me to the emergency room with anaphylaxis. The allergist has done blood work, still waiting on the results. The trigger is unknown and that's what really bothers me. The not knowing what causes me to wake up to this is disturbing. So, I keep antihistamine and epipen by my bed. I'm hoping I can get some answers when I get the test results back. Anyone else have this problem?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

That has got to be scary!

Has anything changed recently? Mattress, pillow, laundry soap, open windows......

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:06 pm 

Absolutely nothing has changed is what is so scary for me. Something wakes me from a deep sleep and when I wake up, the reaction is already in full swing. Most of these times I can take antihistamine and within 30 minutes it starts to fade away. These reactions take so much out of me physically that I literally just lay around after it happens for the day.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

You can develop allergies later on. Perhaps this has happened?
Have you ruled out dust mites, mold, latex etc.? Check out this article for removing household allergens:
http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... ndoor-air/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:56 am 

While you wait for your blood test results, try keeping a detailed record of everything you eat, when you eat it, and when the reactions occur - this can help you do the detective work of figuring out what might be causing the reactions.

It's possible to become allergic to a food you could previously eat without issue - a friend of mine had always loved pistachios and just recently reacted with a very swollen face and trouble breathing, nearly 12 hours after he ate some! An allergist test confirmed he is now severely allergic. You may be experiencing something similar - or as Susan mentioned, perhaps a substance like latex is to blame.

Let us know what your allergist says, and good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:34 pm 

This happened to me a few years back, and it happened every few months for about 1 1/2 years. Each reaction there were a different set of symptoms. Sometimes extreme acute abdominal pain / nausea, sometimes swollen lips / tongue, but always extremely itchy and swollen hands & feet and hives on my torso. After a few hours (and antihistamines) it would be better but I would sleep for hours - even if I had used the non-drowsy antihistamines. Allergy tests turned up nothing at all, and even though I carefully documented every circumstance around each reaction, there was nothing consistent from one to the next. My MD thought it could be a type of hereditary angioedema but that bloodwork also came back fine.

Abdominal migraines (?!), exercise-induced allergy to anti-inflammatories and hormonal changes were other theories that ended up being the top 3 diagnoses. Idiopathic anaphylaxis was what they ended up calling it.

They stopped happening as suddenly as they started, I have cut out anti-inflammatories and made a few other minor changes but I honestly don't have any real idea what caused them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:42 am 

Thanks for all the support!! I had another reaction yesterday. Again, woke up to itching hands, red skin, abdominal cramping (severely), and my nose got so stopped up that I couldn't breathe through my nose. No hives this time. I probably should have used my epi-pen when my hands started itching, but didn't. Then, I paid for it as all the symptoms came on. It seems to change with every episode. Went to the allergist and he told me that all my blood work came back normal. I have another appointment with him in a month, since this continues to happen with no apparent reason. At least he is calling it what it is, idiopathic anaphylaxis. I am continuing to document every little thing I eat and drink throughout the day. Still nothing sticks out at this point.

He told me last visit not to take any ibuprofen or aspirin. I did take some Tylenol the night before for a headache (he told me that was safe to take). I just wonder if that had anything to do with it? Just the not knowing what is setting me off is very unnerving and unsettling.

After the episode, I slept all day and night. Today, I have felt awful as well, almost like I have the flu. My body aching and severe headache. Do any of y'all have the headaches and body aches after an episode?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Why don't you try sleeping in another room?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:05 pm 

Tried that with the same outcome. Fresh clean sheets and all.

I know this is a long shot, but about a month before I started all this I had a tick pulled off me. I recently read about a meat allergy from a tick bite. According to what I read, the people that have this allergy, has the same symptoms as mine. And, I have noticed that when I have these reactions, I eat meat before I go to bed (my friend comes home from working second shift and makes something to eat for both of us sometimes). From what I've read, it doesn't happen every time you eat meat. Like it comes and goes. I mentioned this to my allergist and he doesn't want to do the blood test for this because insurance companies don't pay for this test. But, I'm really at the end of my rope and am now willing to pay for this test out of my pocket. Like I said, I know it's a long shot, but at this point I really have nothing to lose. So, for now, I'm cutting meat out of my diet to see if it helps with the reactions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Yes, Allergic Living has an article on that http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... t-allergy/
I definately think it's worth checking out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:58 pm 

Went to the allergist today for a check-up after my last reaction 4 weeks ago. This is what I got today...no more Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Asprin. Last time, he told me I could take Tylenol, well after my last reaction (took Tylenol before bed) he says no more. I did take meat completely out of my diet since that last reaction with no other symptoms. My allergist did order the blood test today, so now we wait......again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hopefully, you won't have to wait long.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:25 am 

Got the results back finally, I do have the alpha gal syndrome. At least now I know what is going on with my body. But, to think that this is all from a tick bite amazes me!!! Now, I just have to learn what I can and can't eat. I recently had a reaction where I woke up with just my upper lip swollen. I immediately took some Benadryl and it slowly went away with no other symptoms. The night before I ate some fries from a fast food restaurant just to find out that they use beef extract in their "natural flavoring" for the fries.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:40 pm 

So sorry to hear about all that you've been going through!!! At least you now know what it is. I really feel for you. Dealing with the unknown is scary, but now you know, so that will help. I read that you may outgrow this eventually - did you read this?

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Phew! So glad you figured it out! Always go with your gut. :thumbsup Does your Dr think the Tylenol/Ibuprofen issue is related to this?