You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Travelling to Toronto
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:47 pm 

Hi, we Will be travelling to Toronto in the next few weeks.

Does anyone have good restaurant suggestions to make? Of course restaurants That are allergy friendly. I am allergic to fish and seafood.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Both the bistro and the cafeteria at the Royal Ontario Museum are very allergy aware and should be able to accomodate you. I'm pretty sure you can eat there without paying admission.
(call 1st)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:29 am 
Site Admin

Here is a recent article about allergy aware restaurants: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... staurants/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:02 am 

We are members at the ROM, so I just wanted to let you know that, unfortunately, as of May 1, 2013, the restaurant at the ROM is closed :-( . We enjoy the ROM, and you can bring your own food there and eat in the lower level area that is used for schools and other guests with their own food. There are a few vending machines there. Here is the information from The ROM website:

"Please note that c5 Restaurant/Lounge is temporarily closed as of May 1, 2013

The ROM wishes to thank Compass Group Canada for operating c5 at the ROM since it opened in 2007. Compass recently determined to re-evaluate its food service operations at the Museum and subsequently terminated its contract. The restaurant will temporarily close and the Museum will conduct a search for a new restaurant operator with the objective of re-opening prior to the new year.

Thank you to our visitors and other supporters who have patronized the restaurant over the years. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience during this time."

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

That's too bad. I will say that I found it a bit fussy. Not food that kids would want to eat.

The cafeteria is still there and is accomodating.

"In addition to the sandwiches and salads that Druxy’s has become famous for, the menu at Druxy's ROM Café has a customized menu to complement the ROM’s changing programs in world culture and nature, featuring a variety of affordable food options in keeping with Toronto’s diverse cultural landscape, and responding to a wide range of food preferences and dietary requirements. Druxy's ROM Café features global cuisine and provides vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and lactose free options. Druxy's ROM Café prices are up to 30% lower than Food Studio prices and will continue to honour the existing 10% ROM Members discount."