Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Bill Three
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:30 pm 

Quote:
Ontario's Bill 3 - An Act to Protect Anaphylactic Students is a private member's bill, introduced and supported by Liberal MPP Dave Levac, a former high school principal.

Before Ontario's last election, Premier McGuinty and his party promised in the health care
we need: the Ontario Liberal Plan for Better Health Care

"To protect children with life threatening allergies, we will require every school to develop an anaphylactic plan based on province-wide standards." (p. 17)

More information

Do you think it will pass?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:37 pm 

I thought it already had. :o I'm so out of the loop. :o

Anyway, yes. I expect it to pass. It's not demanding anything - just making it easier for principals to do things. It covers all allergies equally. I can't see any politician standing up and fighting against this.

For a private members bill - it's come a long way. :) Thank you Mr. Levac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:20 am 
Site Admin

Bill 3 passed second reading in Dec. 2003, but unfortunately has stalled at the committee hearing stage, and it's not a slamdunk that it will pass into law. As a private member's bill, it sits behind all other gov't sponsored bills - pitbull bans, beer at the corner store, you name it.

We're going to write about this in the first issue of Allergic Living because I think it's really important to know what's going on and not to just let this bill expire on the order paper. It's come so close... NASK, the Niagara anaphylaxis group, has led the charge with a petition to get Bill 3 through. Believe it's still up at their site www.nask.ca. If you haven't signed yet, please do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:16 am 

The last I had heard was that it had passed second reading unanimously. I did assume (there's that word again :oops: ) that it had gone through third reading and I just hadn't heard about it.

I don't forsee this bill making any differences in my son's school. I think they are already doing everything suggested - and possibly more. However, I know that isn't true of all schools.

When I first heard about Bill 3 I was in the process of moving, so I contacted the MPP in the area I was moving from as well as the MPP in the area I was moving to. One was a Liberal and one was PC. Surprisingly, the PC rep knew a bit more about the bill. In the end, the Liberal rep said yes he would support it and the PC rep said yes he would support it. (I believe this was before the first reading.)

I hadn't realized how long this has been sitting on the back burner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:10 am 
Site Admin

AM - You're right that everyone got excited after Bill 3 passed second reading, but since it has just been gathering dust.

The mom of Sabrina Shannon (the girl who died tragically after anaphylaxing at high school) has even written to Premier McGuinty and cabinet minister Gerard Kennedy, trying to up the pressure. Anybody who feels inclined to help lobby can find Queen's Park addresses at the nask.ca site.

Frankly, this isn't just an Ontario issue. If Bill 3 gets this far here and doesn't pass, prospects aren't good for similar laws elsewhere in the country.

So anyone who wants to lend support .... :) gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:02 am 

I don't want to send my son to school anymore :( Very scary stuff trusting a teaching staff with my childs life. Do you think they'd let me sit in the back of the class?

How many readings does this bill have to go through before it's approved? (I'm not up on my politics :oops: ) And if it gets approved in Ontario is it likely to go to other provinces?

I hope these aren't silly questions... really don't know much about this sorta thing.
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:09 am 

Quote:
Do you think they'd let me sit in the back of the class?

I seriously doubt that. Responsibilize your child, make sure he understand the seriousness of his illness. I remember, my mom had severly warned me about NOT trading my snack or any part of my lunch at school. I never did. Of course, I was labelled anti-social and non-generous kid but at least, I made it alive.

If you are that scared, I suggest home schooling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:17 am 

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 8350116795

Changed to link to Toronto Star article as requested by moderator. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robin, your questions are not silly at all.

A bill requires three readings to pass. So far this one has only gone through two. It's only from this article that I even realized that there was anyone requesting amendments to it -- and I'd really like to know what those amendments are. If it gets passed in Ontario that does not mean anything for other provinces - directly. But, it would probably make it easier if people in other provinces wanted to pass something similar.

Last edited by AnnaMarie on Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:22 am 

Quebec would probably be retarded as usual and want to be distinct so we would be the only province not ot pass it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:05 am 

Hey, let's not say "retarded" okay?

Also, could you edit your post to provide a link to the story instead of reprinting it AnnaMarie? I worry about copyright issues.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:19 pm 

I was just kidding about the sitting in the back of the class thing LOL (half kidding anyway) :wink:

Thanks for the info Annamaire... I barely remember the bit of politics from social studies in school. Even then I don't get it all LOL

I went to the "nask" link to lend support and then it hit me... can I sign the petition if I live in a province other than Ontario? Does my signature count? Hoepfully it does... then at least we can help make a difference which might help our own provinces in the future.

Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:29 am 

Forgot, we're talking provincial here. I don't know if bill require three readings in Alberta or not. :?:

And, I meant to comment on sitting in the back of the class. No. I don't think you can do that. BUT you can volunteer in the classroom. :D I'm not sure they'd really want a parent there 5 full days a week though. (Taking this thread OT for a second.) Last year I was very concerned about the teacher my son had. I had seen her interactions with students the previous year and I was very worried about my son being in her class. So, I volunteered a half day per week. It really set my mind at ease. Not just how she dealt with my son - but also how she dealt with all of her students. If I hadn't done that I would have been a basket case all year.

Now returning you to your regularly scheduled discussion of Bill 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Re Bill 33 - As mentioned, I'm writing an article on this for the May/launch issue of Allergic Living. I'm trying to find out what "amendments" the Ont. Liberals want. That one was news to me to as well as the bill has all-party support. FYI, minor amendments, can sometimes be a good thing in politics. Sometimes it's a sign that the gov't is about to take ownership of a private member's bill, make it their own. (Which makes passage much more likely.) Will report back on this one.

Re other provinces - I'm told that in Quebec, school nurses are required to have anaphylaxis training and to keep EpiPens on hand. Teachers there are also considered among the better allergy-trained. There are also some anaphylaxis regulations in PEI and New Brunswick. But the point of difference with Ontario is that Bill 33 would make it a legislated requirement for all schools to have very specific and thorough anaphylaxis plans. It would definitely be the most comprehensive.

Certainly the hope among allergy organizations such as Anaphylaxis Canada is that the law passes in Ontario and then becomes a precedent that would spread to other provinces.

And yes, Audra, three readings in Alta, too. :) Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:42 pm 

Apparently the Bill 3 Standing Committee hearings were scheduled to be held at Queen’s Park on Wednesday, May 4, 2005.

Has anyone heard what happened? I didn't see anything in the papers today about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:36 am 

UPDATED BILL 3:

The short name of the Bill has changed to Sabrina's Law in memory of Sabrina Shannon, who died from anaphylactic shock after an incident at her school in 2003.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/documents/Bills/ ... 3rep_e.htm

Not yet passed in to law - but here's hoping.