Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:12 pm 

Parents warn of peanut allergy after death of daughter at Camp Sacramento

Quote:
Her father then administered an EpiPen, an injection device used to deliver epinephrine, and gave her oxygen.

Brothers said Natalie then suffered anaphylactic shock and cardiac arrest.

Her father, Dr. Louis Giorgi, valiantly fought to save her as she struggled to breathe, said a statement from the family. The statement from the physician and his wife, Joanne, continued:

"While our hearts are breaking over the tragic loss of our beautiful daughter Natalie, it is our hope that others can learn from this and realize that nut and food allergies are life-threatening. Caution and care for those inflicted should always be supported and taken."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/29/560583 ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:07 am 
Site Admin

So sad.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:31 pm 

Death of teen causes Elk Grove school district to stop serving food with peanuts

Quote:
"Why, when so many kids have food allergies? I asked them a number of weeks ago, 'why would you serve peanut butter? Doesn't it seem risky?'" Durosko said.

"You think everything is going to be OK until you hear stories like Natalie's story," Durosko said. "One bite, one taste, it took three EPI pens and she still died."

Elk Grove Unified School district addressed Duroskos' concerns. Late Tuesday, the district issued a response saying it takes food allergies very seriously.

The district's food and services staff met Tuesday in response to Giorgi's death.

"As a result of this meeting, as of this Friday, August 2, all foods containing peanut products will not be served at EGUSD elementary schools," school district spokeperson Torrey Johnson said.

http://www.news10.net/news/article/2524 ... s|bc|large

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:20 am 

What I find really sad about this story is that a news item I read said she's survived by a twin sister who also has a peanut allergy. I don't know how she is going to handle the stress of her sister's death and the anxiety she'll likely have about food from now on. I really feel for that family.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:27 am 
Site Admin

I've already heard of a facebook fa mom whose son had a reaction yesteryear and she gave him epinephrine ASAP rather than give Benedryl and wait like she had done in the past.

I think this tragedy is going to save lives.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb