You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:23 pm 

I hope you're feeling better soon, AnnaMarie!

hickmom, I don't know if it is on sale anymore--Dominion does tend to have really good sales that last about a week (but sometimes longer)--but there is a Dominion on the corner of Bloor St. and Spadina (just a bit west of Spadina...on the east side of Trinity United church). I'm not certain whether they sell peabutter, however. I can't have peas so I've never looked for it, and it is a smaller store.

Their flagship store where I'm certain they would have peabutter is on Front St....it's near the St. Lawrence market area east of Yonge (a bit west of Jarvis I think). They might have a website with a store locator. I'm sure there are other Dominions in TO, but those are the only two I'm familiar with. Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:09 am 

Thanks Lisa. I don't often get down that way but have a sister in Ajax so I'll see if she'll keep her eyes peeled for a sale for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:49 pm 

I went into Walmart yesterday, & left with 2 jars of Peabutter, @ only $4.27 a jar!!!!! Guess I know where I'll be purchasing it from now on!!!! yipeee! The sad part is the local Walmart is over 40 min away, I'll just have to keep it stcoked up in the pantry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:15 pm 

I have a six year old daughter that has a full blown peanut allergy. When tested a few months back, her numbers went off the chart. The Dr. said to just keep her away from all nuts. Now back to the topic, I grew up on peanut butter my entire life up until my daughter was confirmed to have a Peanut allergy. I started buying peabutter and although it is nowhere near the real thing, it was a good fill in for the security of not having nuts in the house. Then it occured to me that I might be sending a mixed signal to my daughter and stopped buying the product. Is it wrong of me to think this is not right to buy this in fear of confusing my daughter with a product that looks, smells (very close) and tastes (somewhat) like the real thing? Coming from someone that had so much of PB & J growing up I would probably bleed PB if you cut me open. Does anyone else feel that this is a mixed signal? I do believe it is a great alternative, just confused. Help anyone....... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:25 pm 

For me, I have a daughter allergic to peanuts and also a daughterallergic to milk. We do eat A LOT of foods which are milk free, but look exactly like milk, or foods containing milk (ie. soy beverage, soy cheese, nutriwhip based icecream, milk free marg, and the list goes on).
So, I feel like I would be hypocritical not allowing PB substitiutes in the house. Personally, I like im healthy soynut butter. Neither of my daughters will eat it, but they know it is made of soy, and that anyone else who is eating a product that looks like this would be eating the real thing.

We actually had a bit of a discussion about this

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1162

No matter if you eat subsitutes at home or not, the rules like "no food that has not come from home" or "do not eat anything without a label", or whatever your rules are still remain the same.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:28 am 

Alan -- I have the same feelings as you do with regards to the peabutter, but my son is 3. What does your daughter say about your having it in the house, does it bother her? ...at 6 I think she would be able to express her feelings to you about it and understand your explanations that what you're eating isn't peanut butter but a substitute?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:14 pm 

You know, that's a good question. I have not bought it in over a year when she was looking at it and I felt guilty and never talked about it. I maybe should get it and show her the difference and the similarities and find out her feelings on this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:04 pm 

With my oldest she always really hated the constant references to peanut butter in her kids shows. She felt left out, like she was missing something. I was willing to let her try a substitute (keep in mind I homeschool so it is a different situation) and she said "yuck, it smalls gross, and looks like poop" and does not want to try it. She definitely knows the difference, and I point it out to her when I have it. However, she no longer seems bothered by peanut butter songs. It is like she feels like she has a choice whether to eat a similar tasting substitute and she is choosing not to.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:13 pm 

Just wanted to mention Golden Notnuts Peabutter has changed their label. The new label is pictured on their site. http://www.peabutter.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:14 pm 

I found this thread on searching for 'NoNuts' pea butter and thought I'd post here rather than beginning a new thread.

I'm anaphylactic to peanuts, tree nuts and sesame, and learned about NoNuts pea butter years ago when it was first rolled out in the market. At the time, I was freaked at the idea of bringing it into the house for DH, let alone trying it myself.

Recently, we bought some, and I decided to try it. (Disclaimer: I'm not allergic to peas!) It's fine for me! :banana

Though it took quite a leap of faith to overcome 40+ years of staying away from anything that resembles peanut butter, I'm happy that I'll be able to use it to prepare more varied meals (e.g., 'mock' Thai food, for example.) The first time I tried it, though, I told my DH that I was utterly terrified, even though I don't have a pea allergy. After all, I developed my allergies as a toddler, and my only accidental 'tastes' of my allergens felt like 'burning' followed by not being able to breathe.

Review for all who are interested: Wow, this stuff really sticks to the roof of your mouth. You can't eat much of it on its own. DH tells me it's very similar to peanut butter in texture and taste. I tried it with chocolate, and later, with jam, and it was very tasty. Like PB, however, it's high in fat, so it's still going to be a 'sometime' food. (Thank you, Cookie Monster!)

I'm looking forward to preparing a pea butter, coconut, pineapple, lime, and garlic marinade for chicken and tofu, and serving it with rice. I'll have zero clue if it will taste like Thai, but DH might enjoy it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:06 am 

It is our favourite peanut free spread. I ate peanut butter everyday prior to my child's diagnosis. I loved the stuff and to me this spread is the closest I have found to the real thing. We eat it regularly. My daughter hasn't tried it but at least I know that it is safe for her.