You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:29 pm 

Have you ever gotten a gift to which you were allergic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:39 pm 

Happens to me all the time. That is why for me, food is the crappiest gift you can get. Give me books, CD's, DVD's but not food!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:32 pm 

Heh. How do you handle it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:53 am 

I give it to my dad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:37 am 

We have these "prayer partners" at our church and they are always giving little gifts for birthdays etc. I often end up with chocolate covered nuts or flowers. I say thank you and then discretely give the flowers to my mother in law and the nuts to my son in law. Actually my daughter grabs them for his Christmas stocking so everybody's happy. :) Only one did I get caught becaus the chocolates looked harmless and the ingredients were in German. Learned the hard way looks can be deceiving.
Barb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:10 am 

You eyes can deceive you, don't trust them. However, I trust my nose. It's one of the most accurate tools for smelling peanuts and peanut butter. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:34 am 

Regarding the original question, if someone who doesn't know about my allergies gives me a gift that I'm allergic to, I just say thank you and give it to someone that will enjoy it.

If it's someone that knows about my allergies - honestly, I think I've only a few times been given *may contains* never anything that really had my allergens as an ingredient. And in those cases, I don't make an issue. Why bother?

I never trust European chocolate. First, I have no idea whether or not they list *may contains*. I trust Canada, UK, and some US. That's it.

Post subject: Chocolate
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

I never trust chocoate!
I believe that in most cases the chcoate that drips off the center/base is remixed with the rest and poured over more centers.
After a while I have to concider it all to be cross contaminated.
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm paranoid...I don't really care.
The only way for dd to out grow her allergies is total abstinence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:14 am 

I've heard that too Susan. However, I do not believe that a company like Nestle or Cadbury that keeps track of what products run on lines with other products would take the risk of re-using peanut based products on products that they say are peanut-free.

My husband goes in to a lot of different buildings (not just the offices, but where they actually produced things) and a lot of companies have signs that employees working there cannot bring peanut products in to the building. I feel they do take this very seriously.

However, having said that - no harm will come to a person for not eating chocolate. And my personal view is - err on the side of caution. If you are not comfortable with it, then you have every right to avoid it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:21 pm 

AnnaMarie...I totally agree, if someone doesn't know about your allergies, it seems acceptable, but if they know...just RUDE!

After an allergic reaction at my husband's staff Christmas party, our Christmas gift(which came 1 month later) was a gift certificate to a local seafood store!!! (I'm allergic to ALL fish). And yes, his boss knew about the reaction, because we had to borrow his SUV to get to the hospital.
My inlaws enjoyed the lobster!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:03 pm 

With most people that give me "food gifts" is because they do not know about milk allergy, so I don't make that much of a fuss and just pass it on to my mom or sister. But for the ones that do know enough and still do, I tend to be a little direct with the "thanks, but you can keep it, I'm allergic to it and you know it!". I know it's not the right way, but I've always told people I have an allergy to perfumes and all and if they do come by and smell, I don't hesitate to tell them they stink! So when it comes to gifts, I've taken some of my bad habits... But I am polite if it is a simple mistake from someone that didn't know. But do not go to the pastry store to buy me a birthday cake because I'm going to be in your face for a long time! (happened once at the office... and they knew I couldn't eat it but still bought if for everyone else as you just can't have a birthday without a cake!) I have since circulated the "Mylène-safe" recipe for making home-made cakes for Mylène's special occasions... I don't really care what they do when it's someone else's birthday, but it's insulting when it's mine!

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:26 pm 

Mylène wrote:
I have since circulated the "Mylène-safe" recipe for making home-made cakes for Mylène's special occasions...

I love it. :lol: Has anyone ever taken the time to make the cake for you? (I hope the answer is yes.)

Post subject: Post topic
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:02 pm 

I totaly hear you all.
I have cakes made for me that I can eat I know I am lucky.
I to have had people make stuff I could not eat.
Even as a child the icing made me really ill, so I have a homemade or no cake at all.
The best is my husband is a great cook!!!!!
I hate watching others eat while I look on and do not hide my feelings at all.
At times I have been really rude to people as they have been told of my allergies.
If I know it is for someone else I will bring my own dessert, I do not mind that and I still feel included when I do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:26 pm 

Actually, my co-workers did make a cake for me, and twice too! The first one was what they called a total disaster, as it didn't look as perfect as a store-cake, but I was almost in tears as they had kept the recipe for a long time and surprised me for my graduation! I would have expected a cake at my birthday, but not at my graduation, so it was an even bigger surprise. The funny part was that all the empty packages used for the recipe were standing right next to it :wink: so that I could check one last time. But I can tell you that even if I would have found a problem with one of the ingredients I would have been as happy as they tried. I'm sometimes really happy that people tried even if I can't eat it as they forgot one little thing.

At work, over the past 4 years that I have been there, we have moved from group lunches at a restaurant to group lunches in the conference room next door where everyone can bring food and we can all eat together. We even started a new Christmas tradition of a "theme" pot luck with a little competition. One year it was "the best spaggetti sauce", last year it was "the best tourtière". That way we can still have fun even if we are not at a restaurant! Even if the only thing I can eat is what I bring, I still feel part of the group. We even got compliments from other groups at work who think our lunches are more cozzy then theirs :wink: .

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

There are about 40 people in my office, 2 have Celiac Disease and one has an allergy to yeast. We each draw a name at Christmas and purchase a card and bring a cake for the person whom we pick. We always make an effort to make something they can eat. When we have meetings that go over lunch and lunch is brought in, an effort is made to have a lunch which they can eat.
We have much better lunches because of it! (We used to get pizza :P ) Sometimes it doesn't work, the salad dressing was added instead of on the side or the salad contained croutons.. I find that the secretary who has to order lunch is grateful for suggestions. This didn't happen over night. This took about a year of pointing it out to management, and a willingness to discuss and educate co-workers.