Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:34 pm 
Site Admin

So...how is everyone doing this year?

I must say that I have been enjoying the past few years with a great principal and caring teachers. Now, we have transitioned into middle school and today I have just finished penning letters to both the Principal and the Bus company! :evil:

This is going to be a long year.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:07 pm 

Let us know how it goes, Susan, with middle school. In our district, we have K-7, then 8-12, so no middle school, but I have heard high school is a huge rude awakening for allergy families. To be honest, I'm a little scared. . .

Our school year is going well so far. DS has DD's teacher from last year, so she's prepped, and DD's teacher seemed very interested in the Anaphylaxis Training they received last week, and told me he loves the Allerject (though we have yet to switch to it). So far so good, I guess!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:34 am 
Site Admin

I was surprised by all the use of candy as rewards. I think that my daughter is at the beginning of parents who have been armed to the teeth with advocacy info.
So far, I'm hoping that our issues can be chalked up to poor communication skills.
I am so fortunate that I live in Ontario and have very clear legislation outlining who is responsible and for what. I know it is not like that in most provinces and territories.
My husband and I will meet with the VP Monday am. Apparently they must have a written plan in place by the end of that day as per their school board policy. I guess that means the pressure is on him.
We aren't purchasing her school uniform or handing over an activity fee until we see just how they plan on dealing with this.
I sent the VP and Principal an email with the Discovery Channel documentary so I hope the take a look.
I'll let you know how it goes. :huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:38 pm 

Better this year (knock on wood), it's our 5th year at the same school, my little guys have the same teacher their older brother had, which is nice from an allergy perspective. Our older son's teacher seems very consciencious, and said that there isn't nearly as much food in the classroom in the older grades. Feeling cautiously optomistic!