* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Itchy, prickly mouth
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:32 pm 

I'd like to think I am wrong...

Intuition tells me I am not

Will be booking an allergist appointment sooner than the usual check up

Little man has complained about pineapple lately; enough that last week I gave him Benadryl when he got irritable and said his mouth was hot, itchy and prickly :(
Today, enjoying strawberries he was cheery as can be and shortly after, was upset saying it just feels like that 'pineapple mouth feeling' never goes away :( No other symptoms but time for a visit
In trying to explore without leading... seems like kiwi is another - that he likes it but it gives him the same feeling in his mouth

Is this why my little guy has really struggled with fruit?!
Drat-drat-rat-a-cat and even though it isn't October... BOO

Post subject: Re: Itchy, prickly mouth
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:41 am 
Site Admin

:( Get thee to an allergist!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:35 pm 

Indeed. It is days like today when I wish the allergist had a remotely accessible calendar where I could sign up for the first available appointment AND request to be on the cancellation list :(
We have the technology.... (and don't they know how neurotic I feel right now?!)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:34 pm 

:cry: Boo! So sorry to hear this. Our son is allergic to pineapple, so I feel your pain. I hope so much this isn't the case for your little guy. Our son has OAS, so there are some fresh (raw) fruits he cannot eat, but he can eat them cooked. Can your son eat cooked strawberries or canned pineapple? It may be that he can eat canned pineapple, but not fresh? or cooked strawberries, but not fresh. When you have your appointment, make sure you bring along fresh pineapple/strawberry/kiwi, but also canned where you can - maybe cook some strawberries yourself to take along? There can be a difference. We only brought the fresh... didn't think to bring the canned/cooked, but we've found our son, for example, cannot eat fresh apples, but can eat apple sauce and drink apple juice (but not apple cider, because it is fresh squeezed apples; whereas, apple juice requires heat to extract the juice; therefore, "cooks" the apple. All the best with it :huggy

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:08 pm 

Pineapple contains an enzyme (bromelain) that gives many people an itchy burning mouth. Many people who have this condition can eat cooked or tinned pineapple safely as the enzyme breaks down with heat. This enzyme also causes gelatin to not solidify, which is why there's a warning on the box not to add fresh pineapple.

Strawberries are also naturally high in histamine and can cause an itchy mouth without it being an allergy. If your son's allergy cup is particularly full, strawberries or other high histamine foods (pineapple included) could start causing trouble. I'm not sure if this is related to OAS or not, but that could be a factor too.

I'm hoping that this is the case, rather than a true allergy to either food. Best to have it checked! I know what you mean about instant access to scheduling. If I had a decent allergist, I'd be doing the same thing some days. Best of luck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:10 am 

Like others have mentioned, pineapple can give people the feeling of prickling or cuts in their mouth. I get this when I eat too much of it. I don't think it necessarily means it's an allergy, but it could. My son is allergic to kiwi - he got hives all around the mouth and down the neck when eating it at 18 months. We brought a raw kiwi to do the skin test as instructed by the allergist's office as they didn't have serum there for kiwi. So far he can eat all other fruits in their raw form without issue, including strawberry and oranges which are other more common fruit allergens.

Fingers crossed for an appointment that is sooner rather than later!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:48 am 

Thanks everyone
Well, we have a confirmed appointment for Thursday... so more news then!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:02 pm 

Time to update the signature...

OAS diagnosis (interesting... such a grey zone based on my limited knowledge and research)

Not surprisingly treenuts and numerous environmental allergens too

Does it change anything really? Maybe not... except that now I don't want to send 'seasonal' tree pollen related fruits to school during spring/fall...

And really, despite bloodwork/skin tests... I am not about to give her walnuts/pinenuts and give him cashews/pistachios at the same table (if we kept nuts in house)

Thinking I need a new email trail.... what to do when you need to maintain a food exposure but there are family contra-indications? If it weren't funny (in a not funny way), I would be thinking of Dante's inferno!

The paranoid parental guilt now makes me wonder - do we need to take each of the children out separately and 'maintain exposure'? Would we reduce long term risk this way?!

(I really think the answer isn't known - does that sound jaded?)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:46 am 

Tough questions! I know of at least one family that gives peanuts to one child at Dairy Queen to maintain tolerance (was never allergic but don't want her to become allergic based on family history) when older brother is PA. Actually my niece is given peanuts at home also with PA dad but it's an adult vs another child so sort of different.

My DD can eat tree nuts but we don't keep them in the house so she never has them, plus most are may contain traces of peanuts as processed together. I hadn't really thought about this, but given what she is allergic to (egg, soy, sesame, PN, plus most other legumes) and the fact she doesn't like most meats, maybe it makes sense so she has another protein source especially when she's an adult and doesn't live with her brother.

DS could eat sesame but we don't have that in the house either so we could be hindering his chances of maintaining tolerance?

I do know that DD used to react to raw egg and tolerate small amounts of egg in baked goods, but just this summer failed a 'baked good with egg' scratch test and oral test also. I was so sure she'd pass based on history, and now I'm wondering if we did her a disservice by avoiding. . .

Yes, the short answer to your question is 'I don't know'. Our allergist used to say if we were very careful about avoiding traces, the immune system might 'forget' it was allergic and start tolerating, so we were gunning for that, but it appears the tables have turned on that philosophy.