You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:10 pm 

This is a posting to update on a recent new experience with Fairmont Hotels. We were emboldened by our amazing dining experience at Epic at the Fairmont Royal York, and so we decided to bring the kids with us on a business trip to Ottawa and stay at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier. This was a big deal as we have never stayed overnight in a hotel where we could also eat the restaurant food.

My husband called the hotel restaurant (Wilfred's) ahead of time to explain our son's allergies. They were just as responsive as we experienced at Epic. The chef called my husband back to confirm the list of allergens and also sent him some menu options to select from. We were planning to stay for two nights at the hotel and expected to just do breakfast in the hotel room (instant oatmeal and fruit is my son's favourite breakfast) and lunches were packed for the kids and my husband to tour Ottawa (while I was at my conference).

The first night for dinner, Wilfred's Chef Pat came out to our table to greet us and discuss Tyson's meal options with him. Tyson ordered the melon boat fruit starter and wanted hamburgers for the main course. Because he couldn't guarantee that the regular buns they had onsite would be safe, Chef Pat offered to make him a series of small 'sliders' with pickles, carrots and tomatoes on the side and a vinaigrette potato salad. My son loved them! We had brought a little homemade carrot cake for desert which they fancied up with some fruit for him. Tyson was also invited to tour the kitchen which he got a thrill out of. Chef Pat asked Tyson what desert he would like the following evening and my son requested a raspberry sorbet, so Pat promised that he would go out and find him one he could have.

The second night, we arrived at Wilfred's and Chef Pat came to greet us at the table again and asked Tyson to choose anything he wanted for dinner even if it wasn't on the menu. So, Tyson picked a salad starter and chicken wings (which he has heard about at school, but never had before). They didn't have chicken wings on the menu, but Chef Pat said no problem and also confirmed that he had gone out to get Tyson's sorbet. We had also come across a store that carried a bread that we often buy at home that Tyson can safely have and so we gave it to the kitchen and they warmed it so that we all had bread with olive oil to start the meal. Again my son was thrilled with his dinner. It was a fabulous experience for us all!

The hotel was also very allergy-conscious. They removed all the food from our room and put an air purifier in for the whole time we were there. The swimming pool was also just recently converted to salt water, so Tyson could swim everyday without reacting (he is also allergic to chlorine). The kids loved Ottawa (visits to the Parliament Buildings, Supreme Court and the Museum of Civilization) and can't wait to go back.

So, after years of only eating Swiss Chalet for meals out, we have successfully had full family meals at three different Fairmont restaurants. We are very impressed with the consistency and care! :D It's time to start planning a few more family vacations! I am thinking Montreal is next on the list with of course a visit to Zero8 as well!

Hubby: Allergic to deer, horse flies & bees.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:04 am 
Site Admin

:happydance I'm so happy for Tyson! :banana

I must admit that when I read your previous post about the Fairmont hotel experience, I searched my mind for an excuse to justify a Chateau Laurier experience...

Thank you Fairmont and Chef Pat for giving a child a "normal" experience. If touring the kitchen facilities with the Executive Chef can be seen as normal. It's as close as we'll ever get to normal!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:32 pm 

Thank you very much for sharing! Maybe we will try out the Fairmont Winnipeg and provide a review :happydance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:17 am 

I also stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport in 2008 and had a wonderful experience.
I requested a hypoallergenic room and I was fine staying there for 4 days. I requested they clear the bar fridge. There was no fragrance in the room, the air quality was very good.

The chef Roger was excellent, I had a conversation with him prior to our arrival and I felt very confident that things would be ok. I emailed my foods to him and the effort he and the staff made in preparing these wonderful foods with sauces was fabulous. I was very impressed and will always stay at a Fairmont in the future.

The only small problem that I have when eating in restaurants are the fumes from the kitchen as I have airborne fish/seafood but I request to move tables and was fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:42 pm 

We're attending a wedding at the Fairmont Banff Springs this weekend. The chef called me twice and left messages to ensure they could make a safe meal for me. We eventually emailed back and forth. He won't be there but his sous chef will be making me something. Fingers crossed that this Fairmont hotel is as good as the others mentioned in this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:56 pm 

We were also just at the Fairmont Chateau Laurier (Ottawa) for an anniversary.

I emailed my list of foods I can eat and they planned a menu for me. The chef came out to greet us also and told us that they take food allergies very seriously, we had conversations each night about the food and he always asked questions.

When a restaurant has confidence in what they do, I have confidence in them. We had 4 wonderful meals and they worked with my limited food list.

I looked at the menu and found the prices were comparable to other restaurants. They also had a brunch menu that catered to all types of needs. I would say it was totally worth the peace of mind.

Lou