You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 am 

Whilst planning my vacation, I realised that the Allerject has done something really wonderful - their auditory cues enable people with visual impairments to receive instructions on how to use the injector without training. When talking to one of the people I'm going for vacation with, she enquired about my allergies. It was only then that I realised I should carry my Allerjects at all times (vs. EpiPens) so she has the benefit of auditory instructions should she be faced with helping someone (me!) in an allergic reaction. Sure, she'll get the trainer to practice with like everyone else, but for her, those auditory cues are so much more important. All they need now is braille on the outer case with the first instruction: pull this device from the case, with a raised arrow.

Random thought for the day...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:47 am 

That is an excellent point! I think the fact that you pull the cover off the needle rather than the other end would make it easier for someone who a visual impairment as well.

As well, every account I have read of people using the Allerject has been positive. It is obvious that people who need the Allerject designed it.

My daughter and I both much prefer using it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:12 am 

Is there a video somewhere of this product? I'm legally blind and would be curious what the verbal instructions are like.

A close friend of mine who is also legally blind was given an EpiPen a few years ago after being diagnosed with nut allergies as an adult. The "demonstration" the doctor gave her was terrible because she couldn't see what he was doing. She didn't even realize the EpiPen was in a case that had to be removed before using it until I told her.

I don't think an EpiPen is overly hard to use without vision (especially since training would be needed with either device, anyway), but I love companies that design accessibility into their products. The idea of braille labels is great! (Even though the braille literacy rate is horrendously low, but that's another topic ...)

Asthma; mild eczema; Type 1 diabetes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:47 pm 

There is a video on Allerject.ca that talks about the device and has a demonstration with the audio cues on it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:56 pm 

You can also order an Allerject trainer which sounds just like the real one:

https://www.allerject.ca/en/free-autoinjector-trainer