You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:22 pm 

Next year, I will be traveling to Maui for the first time. I would like to spend some of my time visiting the gorgeous beaches!

I'm a bit concerned about leaving my epipens unattended on beach while I am in the water. I noticed that some of the beaches are lifeguarded.

Does anyone know if lifeguards are generally willing to help you out and keep your epipens in the lifeguard tower while you swim/snorkel?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:58 pm 

Hi - while we haven't travelled to the same location (and typically strive to keep epis in close proximity), we have found lifeguards willing to help. I never want the 'spare' ones left unattended - I get a mental image of someone trying to make off with a bag not realising that it contains life-saving medication...
Anyway, we have certainly found that the guards are happy to support and often have better storage too (and I think a special eye once they know there is a 'special need')
Good luck!
Please share any lessons you learn after your adventures!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:56 pm 

We have a waterproof pouch for our Epis that we take in the water with us, as swimming back to shore isn't an option if there's a delayed reaction out yonder. (I've had biphasic breathing difficulties when the first phase reaction was only a couple of hives on my face.)

We sometimes store extra (i.e. third and fourth Epis) with the lifeguards, if available. Be sure to keep them in an insulated pouch so they don't get too hot! Most lifeguards we've asked don't seem to mind, but some may warn you that they aren't always at their lifeguard tower and could be on the beach.

Have fun at the beach!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:52 am 

I worry about this also and like spacecanada, carry at least one unit in a waterproof pouch on my person. MEC has these hard plastic waterproof containers designed to keep electronics dry while kayaking etc (Pelican brand I think? I attach a ribbon to wear around my neck but it's somewhat tedious), plus there are some soft plastic type ones with neck cord but don't seem quite as sturdy. With the new Allerject's smaller size, it will be easier to find suitable waterproof pouches. I guess you could also use two thick plastic ziplock bags to put them in, and wear in a running waist pack?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:25 pm 

We also carry them in the water with us in a waterproof bag intended for scuba diving. One warning- don't check the seal of the bag while in the water - that was a mistake...

In the past I did leave them attached to the lifeguard's tower but then while in the water or pool I would constantly be checking that the bag was still on the tower. I find it just easier to have them with me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Admin

There are plenty of waterproof bags available in camping supply shops. Some are even designed for cameras. If you are heading to extreme temperatures as well as warer, you may want to also pack a frio bag. Since this works to keep items cool through evaporation, pack the auto injector into a waterproof bag first and then into the frio bag.

Have a great trip and let us know what worked for you! :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:54 pm 

Thank you so much for all of the feedback!

I have used waterproof containers in the past, but they have inadvertently been snagged on coral, barnacles, etc, which damaged the containers and allowed water to get inside.

I would like to try a different approach.

If they are willing, I would like to include lifeguards as part of my support system/emergency plan when I'm at the beach; after all, they are the first responders at this type of venue.

Communication is important:

By identifying myself as someone with a medical condition;

By selecting a location where the lifeguards as well as my family not only know where the medication is being kept, but also have access to (I.e. the lifeguard tower because the medication is kept out of the direct sunlight and out of the heat, etc)

The panic, stress, and confusion that that typically occurs in an emergency can be reduced because the lines of communication were opened in the first instance.....everyone is on the same page.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:24 pm 

I would probably be leaning to a water proof case and a case to keep epi's cool. Now I may be missing something while in Maui but I have been there many times and I have never seen a lifeguard. The best I have seen is that certain hotels have cabanas on the beach. ??? If you are staying at a hotel you may want to contact them and ask if there is a lifeguard on that particular beach. I have spent most of my time on kaanapali beach. Now there are sooo many beaches Kihei makena and wailea... your sure to have a great time. FYI Maui Revealed is the best travel book that I have ever read about Maui. I found it very accurate in telling you how long it takes to get some place,......... I used it to go to Hana (for about my 8th time) and it tells you where things are by mile marker and it was very precise. OK blah blah I could talk about Maui forever. :popcorn
Enjoy, you will have a great time.
PS I miss Maui

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Yes to the need to keep them cool. Get a Frio wallet. They work by evaporation so it's probably best to put the epipen in a waterproof container first.
I have left our Epipens at the First Aide house at water parks and they were happy to hold them.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:12 pm 

Thanks everyone!

Paige, I was told that DT Flemming beach, Kamaole Beach, Kanaha Beach, Baldwin Beach, and Hana Bay have lifeguards.....maybe I was misinformed???

I will have to check out the frio packs....I have read posts from other threads and they seem to be highly recommended!