You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:01 pm 

Hi

I am having alot of trouble with my asthma due to upper respiratory problems with my larynx and allergies. My problems seem to go back and forth from my lungs to upper making it harder to treat.

Does anyone else have anything like this?

Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

I know that our duaghters Asthma is worse when she has a cold. Have you discussed with your Dr increasing your "controller" medication when you have upper respiratory problems?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:30 am 

Hi Karen, I too have upper respiratory problems. My respirologist doesn't think that I have asthma (I did have severe childhood asthma, but she thinks I've outgrown it)---she thinks that I am just having problems due to nasal rhinitis and vocal chord dysfunction. VCD seems like asthma---wheezing can be involved, but one wheezes when one breathes in rather than when breathing out as with asthma. (Basically the vocal chords block the flow of air---post nasal drip, allergies, chemical sensitivies, stress, exercise can be some of the triggers.) It is possible to have both VCD and asthma. (My allergist, on the other hand, says that I have asthma. I think he is just basing this on the fact that people with all of my allergies generally get asthma--it's part of the "allergic march." So I don't know. All the tests for asthma came back negative, but according to breathing tests, I always have some obstruction when breathing in. Whatever it is, it isn't that severe. I'm not having asthma attacks or anything---except for once last Oct. when exercising in the cold. But I do have the feeling of chesttightness and slight wheezing on the rare occasion.)

If you don't mind, I'd be interested in hearing about what sorts of respiratory problems could be caused by the larynx---I was sent to an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor, and she noted that my larynx was inflamed. I automatically thought that must be because of allergies, but my respirologist has put me on Losec for acid reflux. I was having a slight problem with that and that can cause an inflamed larynx and can cause vocal chord dysfunction. I still kind wonder whether the laryngeal inflamation could be allergies, but I don't think that is being considered right now.

you're right about upper respiratory problems making asthma worse---they don't really know why, but treating nasal rhinitis can lessen the irritability of the lungs and vice versa. this is sometimes referred to as the "united airways" phenomenon.

My doctors have been really trying to treat the upper airway problems---medication helps a bit but it doesn't really do a lot. I've been on different nasal sprays, singulair, antihistamines. My allergist considered allergy shots, but I think he's hesitant about them at the moment. Right now I've just decided to go off my nasal spray for awhile because my nose keeps on bleeding. I haven't told my doctor about this yet, but I'm trying a herbal remedy---nettle tea is supposed to act like a natural antihistamine. I don't know if it will work, but I figure it is fairly safe if I just make herbal tea from the dried leaves as opposed to taking tinctures.