You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: french fries
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:30 pm 

Hi there - I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for nut and peanut safe french fries in Ottawa. I just realised my son has only had french fries once in his life and I'd him to have a chance to try them again.

Thanks,

Susan

Post subject: Re: french fries
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:16 am 

Most of the fast food places should be ok (McDonalds, Wendys, A&W..), private restaurants can be trickier due to the deep fryer being used for other items. Moxies is very allergy aware (and has good fries!). Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:15 am 

Hi there,

When my 8yo and I were at the mall a few months ago, I'd inquired at New York Fries and was satisfied with the information they provided. I decided to probe a bit further last week and was sent this reply today. I was very impressed with her thorough response, and their degree of allergy awareness may work for you, depending on severity. I'm ok with it for my kids who are nut/peanut allergic, plus less severe for egg, sesame, and dairy. We plan to only ever order fries with no toppings.

Dear XXXX,

We are currently putting together an allergy chart for our menu items. Once completed, we plan to make it available on our website.

Below, I have listed some allergen information pertaining to our menu.

Each NYF unit cuts whole fresh potatoes daily and the potatoes are soaked in fresh cold water with no additives. The Fries are cooked in non-hydrogenated sunflower oil and lightly salted before serving. Fries are the only menu item cooked in the oil. A potato cutter is used to cut the potatoes and it is used for this purpose only.

The NYF Gravy does not contain peanuts, nuts or eggs. It does contain the following allergens: milk and soy.

The Cheese Curds, NYF Gravy, Cajun and California Seasonings, Chili and Cheese Sauce are manufactured in plants that are free of peanuts and tree nuts. There are no egg ingredients in these products; however, egg is present in the plant where manufactured.

The NYF Hot Dog does not include any allergens.

The Hot Dog Buns contains wheat and may contain trace amounts of milk, soybean, sesame seeds, milk ingredients and sulphites. The Hot Dog Bun is manufactured in a plant and on a line that contains sesame seeds although our product does not include them.

The Poutine Sauces, Buttered Chicken, Braised Beef and Pulled Pork Sauce are made in a plant that uses nuts although the sauces don't contain any peanuts or nuts. The Braised Beef contains milk, soy and sulphites as well as celery. The Butter Chicken contains milk and may contain egg and also contains celery. The Pulled Pork contains mustard and sulphites.

It is important to note that our units are not designated free of any of these allergens. Customers or employees may bring food products containing these ingredients to our counters or into our units. Please be aware that the possibility of cross contamination does exist
I hope you find this information helpful.

Regards,

Angie Venzon
Director of Purchasing
New York Fries/South St. Burger Co.
416.963.5005 x 239

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:34 pm 

I wonder if NYF still coats their deep fryers in peanut oil for shipping?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:08 am 

Oh my goodness, Becky. I now vaguely remember hearing about this. Hmmm. I'll email her back to ask, but 1-although I don't let my kids eat peanut oil, apparently, North American made peanut oil is refined so much it as no proteins, and 2-We've eaten there twice, at two different malls, so I'm guessing it's either been burned/cleaned off, or my kids don't react. . .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:47 am 

For french fries, we often find they are safe for nut and peanut allergies but not shellfish because of cross contamination in the oil from other products that are deep fried.

Ask the restaurant if any of your allergens are cooked in that fryer and then ask what coating is on the fries too.

Some restaurants will have separate friers for fries.