You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Granola bars
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:31 pm 

So in the last couple of days I was at 2 Superstores trying to find the one granola bar I have found that I can eat, no luck!! In all of my searching I have only ever found two granola bars that had ingredients that said I could eat them one being nonuttin bar but for some reason my mouth feels funny when I eat it?!?! So I have been left with the one and only bar that is the - PC BLUE MENU CHEWY CRANBERRY APPLE granola bars. After leaving the second store I was nearly in tears in the grocery isle! :(
I had just been shopping at Costco and had already been dejected by reading labels there. So I call them this morning and she starts by saying it may not be selling well I said of the same brand they still have on the shelf three types 1 choc chip, 1 choc dipped and 1 smore. Chocolate usually has coconut oil. She said they were not discontinues but none of the stores in western Canada have any. She said she would put in the request that it is an item that I rely on due to allergies. I asked her if there was any way I could order any? Not possible they would have to be purchased in the store. I could barely finish the conversation as the tears were a commin! How pathetic to cry over a granola bar BUT I did!! (now looking for the smilie that is crying!)
If anyone out there enjoys this bar please let them know we want it on the shelf. Loblaws number is 1-888-495-5111

Post subject: Re: Granola bars
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:04 pm 

paige, I will be at our Real Canadian Superstore tomorrow and I will check for you. I know exactly the item you're speaking of because it's also the one and only "granola" bar that we buy. Now, I haven't bought any in quite awhile (6 months, or more), but I will look and see if we have any in our store. But I am in ONTARIO! And you are in ALBERTA! First, I will look and see if they have any, and then we can chat. I had this exact situation with the PC Organic spaghetti, which is the only pasta product I buy (other than Y&Y egg-free noodles) and our local Real Canadian Superstore did not have them in for MONTHS - I had to keep asking and asking, and explaining, and finally they brought in a HUGE shipment and I bought a lot!! I was so worried, and very upset that maybe my one source of safe pasta would have been discontinued, so I understand how upsetting it can be when we rely on these items - that are sometimes our one and only source. So, I will look tomorrow, and then we can chat.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

(((((♥))))) It's not pathetic! It is a horrible feeling to have your world contract like that! Let us see what we can find!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Meanwhile, check out this recipe http://tinyurl.com/nxqrvm3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:31 pm 

Oh, Paige, sorry to hear that! It is hard to lose yet another food, or worse, to see it being taken away from you and given a wishy washy response about its availability. I hope they will bring them back for you. Keep trying.

We stopped (regularly) buying granola bars and now make our own so we can better control the ingredients. It's easier, and we can make whatever flavour(s) we like. Consider giving it a try. Cut, wrap individually, and keep in the freezer.

Also, have you tried Enjoy Life granola bars? They have them at Sobey's, London Drugs, and Amaranth Whole Foods. Not my favourite, but they work in a pinch. Otherwise, we eat NoNuttin here on occasion, but you said those don't work for you.

You may want to contact NoNuttin (Libre Naturals) to see what may causing your mouth to itch. I have talked to them to eliminate their products from mystery reactions I had over the summer. They have extremely strict allergy policies; I learn a lot from talking to them. I wonder if it may be seed related, as they do have pumpkin and sunflower seeds there.

*hugs*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:11 am 

I totally feel your pain, Paige. I used to buy the Blue Menu Cranberry Apples ones, too. They were the only ones DS (with dairy allergy) could eat that weren't special internet order, and didn't have artificial colour/flavour in the ingredients. They were inexpensive, so I always had a box on the go, and was OK handing them out generously to other kids that my kids would be playing with, unlike the NoNuttin bars that are just pricey! I checked two Superstore locations and asked the staff, who weren't overly helpful. I was trying to find out if they were just on backorder, or discontinued and they weren't able to answer. I do know that since about summertime, every time I go to Superstore, I don't see them, though.

We buy NoNuttin, and the kids love them. I wonder what is in them to make your mouth feel funny. Have you tried all the different flavours?

I second the Enjoy Life ones. My kids used to like the Cocoa Loco ones, and are kind of off them now, but they're not bad. I find they're better than the fruit flavoured ones, but that's just my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:17 am 

Thank you all for listening to me and your supportive comments. Julie if you do happen to see them in your superstore Id love to hear from you. Susan I have printed off that recipe for granola bars and I will make them. I want something that I can just grab and go, I hope they freeze well. But what I do like about the store bought ones is that I can keep it in my purse (even if it gets squashed!!) It is ready when I didn't think I was going to need it. I know you all understand that unlike the next guy it is not always easy to just drive through a tim hortons and get a bagel or where ever if you need a quick snack! Now it has been a while since I had the nonuttin bars but I had tried all the flavors and literally pulled the choc. chunk one out of my mouth, that one I knew instantly something was not right. With it being a couple of years since having them and I think with finding the PC brand and them being good and also less expensive I never did bother with nonuttin bars again. I also think with the ingredients saying they are fine and me feeling like NO WAY I was a bit leery to eat any of their bars again. So I never did call them about it. The enjoy life bars do contain seasame and that is something I have tested positive AND negative with but my mouth does not like it so.... one more thing I stay away from. I think my emotion comes from spending some time shopping at Costco yesterday and being hopeful to find some new things that were recommended by a well meaning friend who does not understand why chicken pie would have a warning for p/n, t/n, shellfish...and finding nothing possible, then running to yet another superstore to pick up my regular safe bar only to find it gone! I think when we find things like ice cream, muffins, granola bars it just makes us (ME) feel normal! Yup, grab a bar and go, that's what we all do!! Its also nice to not have to cook, bake everything.
I know its probably healthier if I make them my self. I guess if I find a recipe that I really like I may start to enjoy them more. OK pitty party over! I bake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:39 am 

Re Enjoy Life and sesame, are you thinking of sunflower seeds? My DD is allergic to sesame so I wouldn't buy a product with that, and she eats Enjoy Life products with no problem. I'm fairly certain they don't have sesame, or maybe just the flavours/types we buy don't. Here is the ingredient list for the Cocoa Loco. I haven't checked the other bars:
INGREDIENTS: Tapioca Syrup, Evaporated Cane Juice, Vegetable Glycerin, Chocolate Chips (Cane Sugar, Chocolate Liquor [Non-Alcoholic], Non-Dairy Cocoa Butter), White Rice Flour, Natural Process Cocoa Powder, Date Paste, Expeller Pressed Vegetable Oil (Safflower Oil and/or Sunflower Oil), Brown Pure Cane Sugar, Sunflower Seed Butter (Roasted Sunflower Kernel, Evaporated Cane Juice, Salt), Light Buckwheat Flour, Golden Flaxseed, Rice Starch, Millet Flour, Natural Chocolate Flavor, Baking Soda, Vanilla, Xanthan Gum, Gum Arabic, Salt, Vitamins and Minerals (Vitamin B3, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B1, Folic Acid, Calcium).

OK, just found this in their FAQs, so if they are free of top 13 for Canadian customers, then they should be free of sesame:
Q: What are the most common allergens?
A: The most common allergens are wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish and shellfish. These eight foods account for 90% of all allergic reactions in the United States. Our neighbors in Canada recognize 13 common allergens. The good news is that Enjoy Life is free of all 8 (or 13, depending on how you are counting) allergens!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Paige, I just started working at Costco and plan on preparing a list of items that I would like them to carry. I will also discuss the fact that many people are not able to purchase their products because of the concern re cross contamination. A big company like that can pressure companies to do the right thing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:28 am 

That would be great, Susan! We don't shop there, but a plethora of allergy friendly foods might tempt me to start!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:37 am 

Uh Duh :freak I did mean sunflower! :freak :freak It was sunflower that I tested positive and negative for NOT seasame. Wow where did that come from. I did type that last evening but was it that late! Susan I look forward to see what will be new that is allergy friendly. Though it would be awesome to be able to grab something that is put together in store, the chicken pie, the sheppard pie... but I really don't expect it. They do seem to use many nuts and shellfish in the items they put together there (the salads...) I am just happy that they label clearly. At least I know if I can`t have it. Not that long ago labeling was not this good. It sure is nice when top 10 allergy items are written as attn: at the end in bold letters as it makes seeing new items on the shelf quicker to scan and eliminate than reading whole thing before putting it back on shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:49 am 

paige, I spoke to the RCSS manager today as this item was not on the shelf. He took my number and is going to look into this product. He said it has not been on the shelves there for months, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's no longer available. It still appears on-line... here is the ingredient listing:

PC Blue Menu Chewy Cranberry Apple Granola Bars

Ingredients

Granola (Rolled Oats, Wheat Flakes, Sugar/Glucose-Fructose, Glucose, Honey, Canola And/Or Soybean Oil, Fancy Molasses, Salt, Vegetable Monoglycerides), Glucose, Rice Flour, Cranberries (Contain Sugar, Sunflower Oil), Dehydrated Apples (Contain Sulphites), Glycerin, Honey, Fructose, Sugar/Glucose-Fructose, Canola And/Or Soybean Oil, Salt, Vegetable Monoglycerides, Citric Acid, Natural Flavour. MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF MILK..

Paige, You said you are allergic to sunflower seeds... are you okay with sunflower oil? My son is also allergic to sunflower seeds; however, he can eat highly refined sunflower oil (not cold pressed). I think this was always an ingredient in these bars, and he was always okay with them, but I'm not sure if you are? When I hear back from my store, I will let you know. I will also ask if they would know if the item would be available in Alberta.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:34 pm 

Thank you Julie for asking about the bars in your area and beyond. I do hope they bring them back. I am reluctant to say sunflower is an actual allergy as I have never had real reaction to them other than a funny feeling in my mouth when I had eaten them whole. I do find it kind of strange that my testing had one come back negative and one positive (both tests done by skin prick done about a year apart when I said that sunflower bothered me). I have been able to eat the PC bars with absolutely no adverse reactions. I do stay away from sunflower whole but I would try something with the oil. The Enjoy Life bars have too much sunflower I would be worried about a reaction with them. I will have to find time to bake some. I'm starting xmas cookies first this week. :thumbsup