You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Asthma or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:15 am 

My daughter is in swimming lessons which she loves. Over a year ago I noticed that her stamina as low during her lessons. She was winded early. That's when we discovered the asthma issues. She now is on Singulair and Advair 100 daily. She says she's noticed a difference when she's in gym class and doing other activities. This weekend I noticed during her swimming lesson that her endurance was low again. She's in a higher level where more laps are required but the other kids in her class were not winded at all.

I'm wondering if she's just out of shape, if her asthma is worse or if maybe the chlorine triggers something. Has anybody else had a similar experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:18 pm 

My daughters both have cold urticaria, which is hives from cold. They get hives from coming out of a pool, or getting too cold. They could actually go into anaphylactic shock from cold water. They have to take reactine or arius 3 hours prior to swimming or boating. Their condition is rare, and probably is not your daughters problem with the cold water. That said, my husband has asthma and is bothered by sports outside in the cold, he has a shortness of breath. He is probably the only man in canada who never even learned to skate, he plays almost every other sport, but not hockey. Maybe the cold water is contributing to her shortness of breath. With my daughters cold urticaria, I have phoned around and realized that not all indoor pools run at the same temperature. The temperature of the water and the air in the pool area can vary quite a bit. When I take my daughter swimming we go to the warmest one...maybe that would help your daughter as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:57 pm 

The pool my daughter has lessons at sets the pool at 88....so it's very warm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:33 pm 

Is the air in the pool area warm too, or is the air cooler? If the water is significantly warmer than the air that can be hard on the lungs. Friends of ours have a hot tub outside which they use in cold weather. My husband says it hurts to breathe in deep, in their hot tub if the air is cool and he is not even being active.

Does your daughter have any symptoms of cold urticaria? When swimming the most common symptom is small hives on the feet and ankles after coming out of the pool when the cooler air evaporates water off of the body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:52 pm 

No, she doesn't have anything like that. And fortunately for her (not so much for us when we're watching her) it is very warm in the pool area so there's not much contrast between in and out of the pool.

Post subject: Re: Asthma or Not?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:06 pm 

laurensmom wrote:
I'm wondering if she's just out of shape, if her asthma is worse or if maybe the chlorine triggers something. Has anybody else had a similar experience?

I have also noticed some wheezing in my son when we come out of our local indoor pool. I don't have asthma and even I notice a soreness/tightening in my throat after swimming. The pool we occasionally frequent also has a "bubble feature" and I find that as the bubbles come up, the chlorine seems stronger and more irritating. Like your pool, there isn't much difference in the air/water temperature (I can actually stand going in quite quickly - which is a feat in itself :lol: ) and I think the warmer the environment, the more irritating the chlorine in the air can be (no scientific backing here - just my opinion). I think it's probable that it's the chlorine that is triggering your daughter's asthma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:04 pm 

Boy, I'm learning a lot from you guys! I thought my daughter was the only one who got hives from the cold!!! It didn't start until she was about 15 and I thought it might have been hormone related as I used to get it only when pregnant (no, she's not!) :P It seems to have lessened over the past four years. I didn't realize for some time, that it could also be anaphalactic - she's currently away on a private school 5 week trip canoeing 150 kms in Arkansas. As a precaution, we purchased a shortie wet suit to keep her torso warmer and she wears a special quick dry shirt over top to wisk the cold water away. Of course, she's been instructed to take antihistamines before as a precaution (notice, I said "instructed"???? Whether she takes them or not is out of my hands! At least the thought is there!:roll: )
Regarding the wheezing in a chlorinated pool: my youngest also went through that - it was the chlorine that triggered that 'cause she'd get a milder, similar reaction if I used Javex bleach in the laundry or if she was near the dishwasher as it ran -(that lovely smell you get from your dishwasher is actually chlorine in gas form) - have long since switched to natural products!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:26 am 

Pepper,

Can I ask, what natural products do you use? Is there a particular brand name you are fond of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:41 am 

Catherine -- see the discussion "Natural Cleaning and Health and Beauty Products" thread under "Chemical Allergies and Sensitivities" -- http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=894

Post subject: Asthma or not?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:47 am 

Catherine - I sent you a "pm" as the reply would be too long for this spot and not really to topic - but also see the above mentioned spot where this is also discussed.. hope this helps! :)