You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Eosinophilic esophagitis
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:02 am 

I went to my GP for a referral for something completely different, and asked him for the results of a upper GI biopsy I had back in September, because my follow-up with the GI doctor is not until January. He read out the report and gave me a copy. The biopsy concluded a diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis. The GI doctor had said that eosinophilic esophagitis was a likely cause of my problems (mostly food getting stuck in my throat), but I honestly wasn't expecting this result today. I figured that because I hadn't heard anything, everything was probably normal.

I can't say I'm upset (I mean, I'm glad I'm not crazy!) but I'm also trying to wrap my head around what will happen next and what it might mean for my daily life. From what I have read, it seems my next step is probably an allergist, and that I should probably mentally prepare myself for the possibility of multiple food allergies.

I'm wondering if there is anyone on this board who had experience with this (I understand it's sort of rare) and can give me any tips and pointers about what to expect or questions to ask.

I'm also wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an adult allergist in the Vancouver area (accessible via transit). Even aside from this, I've been meaning to ask to see an allergist because I have foods I avoid because they make me feel "allergic" (but don't cause a full-blown scary allergic reaction like potatoes do for me). In the context of this new diagnosis, it actually might make a lot more sense. I also have some questions about asthma medications that I think would be better answered by an allergist than my GP. And, considering how many allergy-related issues I have, I feel like I should probably be seeing an allergist. I've seen an allergist a few times before and was not impressed with him at all.

Asthma; mild eczema; Type 1 diabetes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:06 am 

Hi there,

I don't have experience with EoE, but wanted to invite you to join the Vancouver area allergy group:Metro Vancouver Anaphylaxis Group. PM me with your email and I'll add you to the list and also the Facebook site if you are interested. Someone may know of an allergist that treats adults. The one we use now is pediatric, and one we used in the past who does treat adults was awful. . . .Or, I could just ask the group and see if anyone knows. Let me know what you would prefer.

Elaine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:21 am 

kindletheflame, So sorry to hear about what you're going through. Have you read this recent Allergic Living article:
http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... oe/?page=1

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:41 pm 

@Elaine: Thanks for the information! I will send you a PM.

@Julie: Thanks for the article. Very informative article and meshes with other articles I have read.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:48 pm 

@kindletheflame - I was recently diagnosed with EoE as well and am having a hard time sorting through all of the foods I can't have. Up until a few months ago, I had only noticed that I was having issues with milk. Then my tests have come back with milk (cow's specifically), eggs, beef, pork, corn, peanuts, cashews, sesame seeds, and lima beans. The hardest one for me to avoid is corn.

Any helpful information or recipes are graciously appreciated. This will be the first set of holidays since I was diagnosed and I'm the only one in my family with any food allergies.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:32 pm 

Thanks for your reply, allergicandi. Your comment about having problems with milk even before you were officially diagnosed is interesting. I have avoided straight milk or things like lattes for the past year or two because I've had problems with them - a glass of milk or latte makes my throat extremely irritated (so that I have coughing fits, can't talk properly, have to clear my throat constantly, etc.). It also makes my stomach really, really upset later on. It never caused any problems beyond that (no itching or hives or swelling), and things like cheese and yogurt didn't seem to bother me, so I didn't think it was an allergy and assumed it was lactose intolerance. Then this past year I gradually noticed that cheese and yogurt makes my mouth and throat feel irritated and even a bit tingly/itchy, which got me wondering about an allergy. But it only happens intermittently, which was totally confusing to me.

So I am definitely wondering about milk, as well as a few other foods. I was wanting to see an allergist even before this diagnosis came up, but had just been putting it off ...

I will see the gastroenterologist in early January and will probably get any other referrals I need at that time. In a way I am going crazy wondering what I might not be able to eat and trying to correlate foods with making my swallowing worse (but, other than milk, it seems random to me); in another way I'm glad I have time to mentally prepare for the possibility.

I don't mind avoiding a food if it will help my swallowing issues and throat irritation (and maybe my allergies in general, sometimes I feel like my body is just so reactive to random things!), but I am hoping it's not too many foods and not a food that is in absolutely everything ...

I hope you are able to find recipes. I am sure in a month or two I may be on here looking for some myself! (Although I'm not a huge cook. I may have to change that ...)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:20 pm 

Well, I got the official diagnosis of eosinophilic esophagitis today. Got a referral to an allergist for food allergy testing. I didn't get to suggest one; there's one this gastroenterologist sends all his patients to, presumably someone with experience in EE. The doctor also prescribed an acid reflux medication to try, and (if that fails) a steroid inhaler (usually used for asthma, but I'm to swallow the dose instead of inhale it), although he said the swallowed steroids can only be used short-term.

It sounds ridiculous, but in a way, if I do have other food allergies, it would actually explain a lot of my experiences over the past five years. Random mild reactions I have to foods that seem to have no connection with one another; why my allergies are so terrible even though I take antihistamines every day and do everything I can to stay away from environmental allergens; why I get small areas that break out in rashes and hives sometimes; and mostly why my throat feels weird almost constantly! I already suspect I have an issue with milk and banana (and already mostly avoid these), so will ask about those. It will be interesting to find if there are others and find if avoiding them helps my throat at all.

If anyone here has been through this EE thing, please chime in!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sorry that youvhave been diagnosed with EE. At the same time, I'm sort of glad that you have a direction to journey toward healing and living a healthy life.
Allergies and how the body reacts are still a bit of a mystery. The body does not always react how we expect it to and it's been hard for the scientific community to wrap their heads around but they're slowly making progress.
Sometimes your body will react with stronger reactions to allergens when your systems are already engaged. So, in times of stress or illness or even raging hormones...these can all impact the severity of a reaction. I hope the allergist will help you make sense of your unique health concerns.
You might find that some of your rashes are eczema. That goes hand in hand with allergies, sometimes.
Good luck! :huggy

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:58 pm 

Hi, kindletheflame.

I've just logged in for the first time in a while and noticed your posting. I was diagnosed with EE (as well as EGIDs throughout the digestive tract) four years ago after many years with multiple food allergies. In my case, they're definitely connected.

My EE came to my attention when a cracker got stuck in my esophagus on the way down. It was really unpleasant, and it took hours for it to finally go down. When I had the upper endoscopy, shallow ulcers were noted in my stomach, and the gastroenterologist asked me if I took Aspirin regularly (which I did not).

For a while, I took Nalcrom (sodium cromoglicate) capsules, but I don't think they helped. I also did steroid inhaler swallows, which helped marginally. Adjusting my diet was more helpful than anything. It can be tricky, however. I was informed that environmental allergies can also lead to EGID flare-ups. For example, when the cracker got stuck, it was April and the trees were budding.

It was all very new to me, and now, it's just part of the food allergy lifestyle. :wink:

Please feel free to private message me if you'd like to connect.

Good luck!