You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:51 pm 

Hello,
My 14 month old daughter has a ton of allergies. She is allergic to wheat, soy, dairy, eggs, oats, banana and sesame. She has 10 other foods that she has had moderate to severe reactions to that haven't been confirmed by her allergist. Because I am breastfeeding, mostly for her comfort, I have to be on this diet and I AM HUNGRY!.

I am struggling to find flours that are not processed in sesame or soy plants. I would love to find the raw grains and mill them myself but I have had no luck. If someone has suggestions on places to purchase safe wheat free grains or flours then I am all ears!

I can't wait to chat with you all.

Thanks in advance!

Husband: allergy to Peanuts and nuts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:19 am 

Hi there, welcome to the board! This is a great group of knowledgeable and supportive people and hopefully someone will have info for you about the flours. Would a company like Enjoy Life be able to point you in the right direction?

That's a lot of allergies that you are dealing with! I know someone in our local group had success talking to a dietician with experience dealing with multiple food allergies. Not sure if such a service might be available where you are?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Welcome izzyzmom! There is no hazing here...the events leading up to a diagnosis is haziing enough. :frightened

I'll post your question in the shopping forum and see what others have found.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:35 am 

Thanks ladies! We are seeing a dietitian on Wednesday which I am thrilled about. I know I am not getting what I need and I suspect my family isn't either :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:58 am 

Welcome. You will find a lot of wonderful and friendly people here to help you with any questions you may have.

I posted in the shopping thread but will mention it here too: I've found safe dried chickpeas, quinoa, rice, etc. at the supermarket and used my high-power blender to turn them into flours. It's probably your best bet for now, as purchasing small amounts of safe flours may not be possible, and larger (commercial) amounts will go stale before you can use them up.

Have you tried simple meals like beans and rice? Steamed broccoli and sweet potato? Chickpea curry? Tinkyada pasta with homemade tomato sauce? Whilst you may have eliminated foods you are accustomed to, embrace the ones that are still safe. I know it seems overwhelming now, and it is, but make a list of the foods she CAN have and hopefully that will help you see the positive side of things. It does get easier. If you need recipe/meal ideas let us know - we have loads of great recipes on here, and more at home that we can share with you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:40 pm 

My daughter is waiting for confirmation of allergy on these foods:
kale (had anaphylaxis)
carrots (")
avocado (anaphylaxis)
nectarine
garlic
olive oil
tomatoes (anaphylaxis)
sweet potato
parsnip
chickpea

As for grains/beans to mill - I was looking at using a vitamin. I tend to use millet, sorghum, teff, brown rice and quinoa.

Thank you for posting on the shopping forum