You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:45 pm 

Has anyone actually had an issue with airport security because the prescription label for their auto-injector was on the cardboard box, so not on the unit itself for the security guard to check? Do people bring the boxes with them, or just bring 'naked' autoinjectors? For the Epipen, it goes on the case - no big deal. For Allerject, there's really no good place for it. It covers up important instructions/info, unless it's folded to stick to itself instead of all of it sticking to the unit, if that makes sense, and then it gets caught on things and becomes ratty/illegible anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:44 am 

Mom from our local group suggested getting duplicate sticker and sticking on back side of Allerject, covering the part about keeping it in 15-30 degree temps, then covering with 'book tape' which is stronger than packing tape.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:43 pm 

We've never had issues with prescription labels on our auto injectors. My Allerjects don't have labels at all and have never been questioned, even on our trip a month after Allerjects first came out. EpiPens have the label on the plastic outer case. We used to bring the EpiPen boxes but realised how ridiculous that was after a few trips.

Come to think of it, CATSA, TSA, and European airport security (London, Frankfurt, Helsinki, Copenhagen) have never opened my medications bag to look at anything, and I carry a lot of stuff in there: inhalers, chamber, 4+ EpiPens, 2 Allerjects, extra MedicAlert bracelets and cards, Benadryl, chef cards, etc.

In Canada/USA, you can bring non-prescription essential medication onboard, even liquid over the counter stuff like Benadryl, and since epinephrine auto-injectos can be bought over the counter, they may not always have prescription labels on them. I wonder what security would do in those cases?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:29 pm 

Our pharmacy always prints an extra label for each Allerject. I write contact information on the Allerject label and then cover the label with packing tape and then attach the packing tape to the Allerject so the label is like a flap. I then put a rubber band around it until the label conforms to the shape of the Allerject. This way no writing on the Allerject is covered.

I like having the contact information directly on the Allerject.

I do this for my daughter's Allerjects as well as mine. We have both travelled and never had anyone question the autoinjectors.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

I forgot to get the label on the device when I purchased. Haven't had any issue with airport security in Canada or U.S.

I do think it's still a good idea to get one if you remember to. My medical ID bracelet also says: carries EpiPen and I have a doctor's note re allergies for travel.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:26 am 

walooet wrote:
Our pharmacy always prints an extra label for each Allerject. I write contact information on the Allerject label and then cover the label with packing tape and then attach the packing tape to the Allerject so the label is like a flap. I then put a rubber band around it until the label conforms to the shape of the Allerject. This way no writing on the Allerject is covered.

I like having the contact information directly on the Allerject.

I do this for my daughter's Allerjects as well as mine. We have both travelled and never had anyone question the autoinjectors.

Great idea. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:28 am 

gwentheeditor wrote:
I forgot to get the label on the device when I purchased. Haven't had any issue with airport security in Canada or U.S.

I do think it's still a good idea to get one if you remember to. My medical ID bracelet also says: carries EpiPen and I have a doctor's note re allergies for travel.

Thanks Gwen. Yes, we have Dr letters in the passports and bracelets, and have never had a problem before. I just didn't want to get that one super picky security guard who asks why our medication isn't labelled. . . . I'm going to go back to the pharmacy to get new labels and stick them on with the clear tape, just for my own peace of mind : )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:15 am 

Alison's Mom wrote:
just for my own peace of mind : )

:huggy That is so much of allergy management to me - control what you can! We all know that if they confiscated our epinephrine we could not go on the trip (or would be extremely risky) so it is not something I want to worry about.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:29 pm 

walooet wrote:
Alison's Mom wrote:
just for my own peace of mind : )

:huggy That is so much of allergy management to me - control what you can! We all know that if they confiscated our epinephrine we could not go on the trip (or would be extremely risky) so it is not something I want to worry about.
Yup, and after that planning to even go on the trip to begin with, having our autoinjectors confiscated would just be soooo much of a let down. . . .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:03 pm 

We have encountered this ~ 2 years back for epis which I thought was silly as by that time, you could buy without prescription.

We were challenged (very stressful as the meds are for the kids who suddenly think a person in authority is going to confiscate their epis)... and although the kids had medic alert on, we still had to show evidence of our requirement in the form of a doctor's note.

Forgot to say where...
a) airport clearance (this was far scarier for the kids as they were with us during these "discussions")
also...
b) school saying that they can not administer (despite response plans, medic alert) without labelled meds (blissfully, the kids didn't hear this...)

I think this is getting easier but have adopted an attitude of needing to plan for an un-enlightened person's bad day... If not for them, then for the sake of advocating for the kids and also not letting them feel bullied in such situations

(then again, I am the mom who brings extra epis everywhere as I worry others will need and I never want my kids without and as I have actually had other allergic families say "we aren't too worried when we forget epis at an event as we know you will always have some!")

we'll be travelling in Aug with Allerject for the first time later this year so please do share recommendations if you have more! I am still trying to puzzle through getting the script/tape to fit inside the very small outer container.... does anyone have a photo of this?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:29 pm 

Very interesting info, Renie!

So I did end up getting new labels from the pharmacy. They just gave them to me still stuck on the wax paper so I took them home, carefully stuck them on the outer case. The sticker covers 'Do not use if solution shows. . .' line and below, and around both sides of the unit so most of the UPC code and the side warnings, but the important parts on the front are fully visible. I covered the whole sticker with clear packing tape all the way around the unit. I'm not sure if different pharmacies have different size labels though.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:32 am 

You can also get a MedicAlert travel certificate to take with you as well. Has anyone ordered one of these before? I ordered one for our upcoming trip but haven't received it yet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:21 pm 

spacecanada wrote:
You can also get a MedicAlert travel certificate to take with you as well.

Never heard of that - thank you for mentioning it!

Was there a charge for it? How long did they expect it would take to receive it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:33 pm 

walooet wrote:
Was there a charge for it? How long did they expect it would take to receive it?

They are free with membership. I requested mine when I ordered new bracelets and the bracelet arrived but no certificate. It's only been two weeks, maybe less. I will call again if it doesn't arrive this week. I had a lot going on with my order, updating information, etc. so it could have been easy to miss.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:25 am 

Good to know about these!