You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 pm 

:huggy Amazing support! SO heartwarming!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, spacecanada! You have an amazingly supportive workplace!
:banana
Keep us informed of the dog's progress.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:15 pm 

Well trying to think of a positive aspect of allergies while I was in emergency on Saturday night - Sunday morning after a cross with a pine nut at a restaurant. (I looked at menu on line, I talked one on one with staff as to what was in my dish all sounded 100% safe :( :oops )
What I came up with was, no wait time when we get to the Hospital! Interesting thing the person ahead of me was also there with a nut reaction. Still getting over it, today my last day of prednisone. Not really feeling back to normal yet. (that might be of interest to all those people who think 1 shot of epi and all is back to normal!) It really is also a physical/emotional recovery.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:52 pm 

:huggy to you, Paige. Let me know if you need anything. <3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:54 am 
Site Admin

Paige, you really have to take it easy for a couple of weeks after a traumatic event such as this.
I tend to feel like I'm in a fog and emotional, yet unemotional at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:12 am 

Thank you ladies. I have kind of kept to myself the last couple of days. Didn't get home from hospital till 5:30am on Sunday so that made Sunday a recovery day. then I was surprised how emotional I was on Monday! :( seemed every time I had a moment alone it was time for a cry! It was not like I was being risky. I do pass on outings when it does not seem safe. It seems that every place has risk. I guess I just thought I did everything right next to making dinner myself. Then there is dealing with those around us, I don't want to stress them out. My dd was in tears because she worried about me. I know my sister worries about her daughter with allergies and sees how I deal with them. Its also hard not to be scared of food period. I guess time will be the healer on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:10 pm 

OK I should not write when its sooo late. Its easy to get stressed or have a negative perspective. Lets go back to the topic of this thread. Are there are positive aspects to allergies today. YES Things are not perfect but they are getting better. #1 With labeling they have come a long way. I really had so many reactions when I was younger telling my mom "I don't care what the label says there is something in it I am allergic to"!! #2 Back when I was a teen I never even had an epi pen they didn't have them. I remember I had a case with a proper needle. Not sure anyone would have wanted to use that on me. So to have epi pens that have made it easy for anyone to use is spectacular. I really do feel secure to have it with me. #3 people are more aware what allergies are and what can happen so it does make it easer to inquire at a restaurant or at someone's home. Yes it can be hard but things are better. Sorry to use you as my sounding board, I am getting better :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:57 am 

Paige, hugs to you!! Don't worry about using us as a sounding board, that's what we're here for. And that is another positive aspect of having allergies. The support from this on-line community is awesome!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:52 pm 

Thank you soccermom and others who understand what its like to navigate the food allergic world. Well no time to hide from dining experiences I had dinner out last night at a company function. It was served buffet style at a lovely golf course. After talking to the person in charge "the chef" he thought it best to bring me a plate. Sounds good to me. Everything went well and I was not afraid to eat, no sauces, no surprises, all good. I know having a plate brought out can feel like a spot light for a moment but the comfort in safety level brings that spotlight down very quickly. I can say other do not care one bit what I eat they are so interested in what is on there plate to pay attention to my plate being brought out. I only wish I would have talked to the chef earlier, for his sake. I think he would have appreciated it. I will have to send a thank you note to him this week. Need to let them know we appreciate when they take care of us and we are not just being picky.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:37 pm 

paige H, SO glad to hear you are doing okay now, and SO glad you shared your experience. The reality is that every time there is a reaction, we must recover, both physically and emotionally. Sharing your concerns helps all of us to feel our emotional recovery is normal. I'm glad you are able to find the positives following a reaction... such a positive message to us all. Thanks!

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, peas, carrots, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:35 am 
Site Admin

The best people to talk to at restaurants are the chef and the manager in that order. Usually though, you have to talk to the manager, who relays the message to the chef, who comes out to speak with you.
If you know in advance, contact the restaurant in advance by phone or email. They are usually very nice about it.