You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:10 pm 

First, my DD(10) is anaphylactic to peanuts and tree nuts.
The school announced last week that they were doing a fundraiser where students could order cookies supplied by a local nut-free bakery. My DD was ecstatic because she could actually participate in this food activity for the first time. So we ordered some cookies, and her friends ordered some for her - they will all get distributed on Valentines Day.

As a cautious, and curious parent, I called the bakery and was shocked to hear that the cookies would not be packaged at the bakery. Instead they would be shipped in bulk to the school, where the older students in gr8 would decorate them then package them. :dungetit

My heart sank when I heard this. I tried to call the school twice this week to find out exactly what the process is but no one has called me back. I work full time now so can't go into the office personally.

What do you think the risks of cross contamination would be? I don't know where they will decorate the cookies, with which brand icing, will it be a clean protected surface, will they wear plastic gloves when handling the cookies? So many questions...

What would you do? Should I allow my daughter to eat them. She really wants to eat one at school. I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

Ugh! I'm sure they mean well but unless you are living with allergies, you simply can't appreciate the anxiety that we go through with partial info.

Can you send something that is safe? Perhaps a cookie from the bakery that your child decorates safely?

Do follow up with the Principal. It is their job to ensure that all activities are safe. Stay on hold and request that you speak to someone tomorrow morning. This is not acceptable.

Do you have a plan in place for your child? In the USA, schools should have a 504 plan for severe allergies.

This is a great example of why we need to reduce the reliance on food in celebrations.

Let us know how you make out.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:36 pm 

I would also get my own to decorate and send with her. And I'd probably go the day of just to make sure there were no mix ups.

We've had so many food 'activities' at school lately, and while I appreciate the extra efforts that my kid's teachers are FINALLY putting in I wish it would all just stop. It's a pain for them too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:38 pm 

How disappointing to finally have what you thought would be safe, and turns out not to be :( . Well, we've had plenty of experience with this too, unfortunately, including tomorrow as well. Like Becky, we always send in something safe for our son. Tomorrow is Valentine cookie day, and I will be sending him with his own safe "cookie". I agree with Becky... I just wish all these food-related events would stop. I find there are fewer of them now that my son is in grade 6, and my daughter in high school never has them, so one day the food celebrations do come to an end - at school.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:51 pm 

That's good to know Julie. Though I do still worry about recess etc..which will be even less and less supervised as they get older.

I will be sending cupcakes and crackers from home tomorrow for parties, they can have cheese, juice and fruit from school once I have a chance to check it out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:33 am 

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

Well I ended up sending an email to the principal late that night then yesterday morning the vice-principal calls back. She told me they are taking precautions to clean the desks :scratchy and decorating the cookies with some sort of edible ink. Whether that ink is peanut free, they don't know.
I basically have given up. I cannot educate the school. In the past the school has banned all food from celebrations. With this new vice-principal at the school, this year they have events with food almost every month.

We ordered these cookies so my daughter could give then to her teachers and friends. She already told me her friends ordered some for her. I even had her brother order one for her. My DS is allergic to eggs so he cannot even eat them :(

She won't be decorating them, other kids in higher grades will be.
So I told the school,to leave any addressed to my daughter undecorated. I'm still concerned about her eating them.

I explained the situation to my daughter last night(she had no idea I was calling the bakery and school about this). My daughter told me she might not eat them at school when she gets them. :( Even tho the entire week she kept telling me she was really looking forward to valentines day since they were going to get the cookies.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:19 am 

:huggy We're here for you! It's hard to deal with people who think they are being accommodating but still don't get it. With my reaction history, I wouldn't eat the cookies. I hope your DD will still have a fun Valentine's Day, no matter what the cookie situation ends up to be. The holiday is about much more than food. <3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:16 am 

I'm sorry to hear that after hearing they are coming from a nut-free bakery, they may not be safe after all. Getting undecorated ones for your daughter, or sending your own cookie from the same bakery seem like they would be the safest options. However, it must be so disappointing for both of you to get your hopes dashed of her being able to eat what everyone else is having.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:27 pm 

It's interesting to me that schools talk about inclusive education and anti-bullying campaigns, and yet these keeps happening over and over.

Our kids are having to deal with life threatening situations, and feel excluded by peers and adults.

:banghead :banghead :banghead