Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Valentine's Day party
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:19 am 

How did everyone's Valentines Day go?

7yo's class handed out cards only, with no party/no food, so that was easy. He got a couple of candies included in cards so I traded him when he got home.

9yo's teacher told the class *yesterday* (after I sent an email the day before) that they're having a party and to try to bring something. So she and I made cupcakes last night. I told her she could eat certain brands of potato chips if people brought them, but no homemade food. She then tells me she ate a homemade marshmallow pop thing a classmate brought! When questioned, she said the girl knew what her allergies were, and assured her there were none of her allergens in the ingredients!!!! She's allergic to peanut, egg, sesame, plus some forms of soy and other legumes, and she's expecting a kid that we don't know well to remember this? :banghead Must. do. role. playing. again.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:59 pm 

Yikes! I think a discussion with your 9yo's teacher is also due, as they are the responsible adult for the class and should have provided better supervision (and really shouldn't have had the food party in the first place, but I digress). *sigh* I'm relieved your daughter didn't react to the mystery snack.

As an adult, I get to choose which events I attend and so last night my husband and I went to a couples yoga class. At Brownies (earlier this week), we had the girls make special Valentines for each other, little crafts they could pin to their hats, and Valentine cards for the local Meals on Wheels program to hand out with their meals yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:25 pm 

I'm so sick of it. All of my kids had class parties with home baked goods, and got bags full of cards and candy that I had to purge.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:59 am 

spacecanada wrote:
Yikes! I think a discussion with your 9yo's teacher is also due, as they are the responsible adult for the class and should have provided better supervision (and really shouldn't have had the food party in the first place, but I digress). *sigh* I'm relieved your daughter didn't react to the mystery snack.

As an adult, I get to choose which events I attend and so last night my husband and I went to a couples yoga class. At Brownies (earlier this week), we had the girls make special Valentines for each other, little crafts they could pin to their hats, and Valentine cards for the local Meals on Wheels program to hand out with their meals yesterday.
Yes, the teacher was very good for the Halloween party - he created committees for the kids to organize it, and put my DD on the food committee, and made sure there were people bringing things she could eat. This time I had asked about party/food Wed night, then Thu afternoon she comes home and says he told them to bring something for the next day! I know, I'm trying to pick my battles so as much as I would prefer no food party in the class, all I do now is make sure I make something so she can eat it. I like your non food celebratory items!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:03 am 

Becky wrote:
I'm so sick of it. All of my kids had class parties with home baked goods, and got bags full of cards and candy that I had to purge.
I know - it's hard to pick where to fight. Our school is talking about healthy eating and we have a little canteen full of OK health wise, but processed food. Some moms were saying they'd rather their kid eat homemade banana bread than packaged apple sauce etc, and I'm thinking 'at least the apple sauce has a label!' It's hard to please everyone. You throw out the unsafe treats? I take it and eat it myself when they're not looking! LOL. Lindor truffles. May contain and artificial flavours, but sooo yum.