You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:53 pm 

We're going to be spending about 3 weeks in the US, we will have our trailer with us and will be camping (primarily).

We're so use to our safe brands, I'd like to know what to look for (or look out for!) while we travel.

Kid friendly staples for us are Dempsters bread, dare cookies, goldfish & christie crackers, yogourt tubes...Will I be able to find these easily?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:21 am 

I don't think I've ever seen Dempsters Bread down there. For bread, we will bring a loaf for the kids, or read all the ingredients looking for something that doesn't say may contain TN/PN. I can usually find something that will say 'may contain traces of milk, egg, soy', and I will consider this safe for TN/PN. Yes, it's a chance I'm taking, but we have the epipens and I'm OK with it.

Pepperidge Farms goldfish is a US company I think, but I would check to see if the facility/ingredients are the same as Canada - not sure.

Dare I think I have seen, but not as common. I've found the dairy brands are different but I think they have Yoplait and Danon.

I trust Kraft labelling - says here they will label for may contain for peanut if there's a risk. http://www.kraftfoodservice.com/bw/heal ... rgies.aspx

Also, here's Trader Joe's allergen policy: http://www.traderjoes.com/about/product ... p#Allergen

Sorry, I'm not that helpful. Have a fun trip!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:19 pm 

We're visiting America this spring too and I have many of the same questions.

I've been told that Chipotle restaurants are safe for PN/TN/sesame and their website agrees.
http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/menu/spec ... ation.aspx

King's Hawaiian (dinner rolls) is supposed to be safe for PN/TN as well, although I don't know if they are available everywhere.
http://www.kingshawaiian.com/faqs/

When we stay in hotels or predetermined locations in America we pre-order Divvies cookies to be delivered to us whilst on vacation as a fun treat.
http://www.divvies.com

Enjoy Life seems to be readily available in most places, at least in health foods stores, if not regular stores too.

Surf Sweets (gummies) are top-10 free, although I'm not sure how readily available they are. I've only seen them in health food stores at home.
http://www.surfsweets.com/faqs.php

As for other brands, I would call manufacturers, much like at home.

As you have a trailer, stock up on some of the treats your kids enjoy and bring them with you. Not fruits, vegetables, or dairy, as there are too many restrictions on those when crossing the border, but Dare bear paws and Goldfish crackers should be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:49 pm 

I have eaten at Chipotle a few times and felt safe eating there. I always pack snacks to bring along. Even if I find some there I always know I have handy safe snacks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't been to the US in a few years so I don't feel comfortable offering brand suggestions. I would suggest that you put a message on Allergic Living's Facebook page. We have a mainly US audience there and I'm sure you'd get some ideas!
What I did that last time I travelled was:
1. Find the zip code he place where I planned on staying.
2. Use Google to locate grocery stores in the area.
3. Search online for store flyers to determine brands which were currently sold there.
4 Contact those companies and see if their product was safe for our dietary restrictions and determine what their allergy policy/awareness was.

It's a little backwards, but it narrows down the field to those products which I can reasonably expect to find.

Enjoy your trip! :swing

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:47 pm 

It is interesting that they don't seem to have as many peanut free prodcuts as we do.

For frozen treat: PhillySwirl :banana

We were pleased a few years ago with the information from SaraLee and their many companies (Jimmy Dean etc).