You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:27 pm 

We are currently in a rut when it comes to lunches. WIth deli and processed meats out and non dairy cheese hard to find, it is difficult to come up with new ideas. I bake ham and chicken to have for lunches but they are bored with these and so am I. We have Campbell's tomato soup a few times a week. I have tried some of the Amy's soups but they are not fussy about them. I guess the trouble is I am dealing with diet restrictions from allergies and typical preschooler fussiness about new foods! Any kid friendly lunch ideas would be appreciated - milk, egg and nut free! Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

From the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxic Network.
:) http://www.foodallergy.org/school/lunch.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:55 pm 

I am not sure if you are taking unches at home...or to be packed for school.

My daughter likes "old el paso" soft taco shells with meat or butter and strawberry jam rolled up. We call them "Dora tacos".

I mix 1 cup milk free marg. 1 cup brown sugar and 4 tsp. cinnamon to make cinnamon spread. This is good on bread or the soft taco shells.

Pancakes with fruit are a big hit.

We have pasta a lot, with tomato based pasta sauce or soya sauce.

I like to make homemade blueberry perogies. They were a family tradition so to me they are normal...most people hear perogies and think potato or cheese. Blueberry are very good, and they are pretty quick to cook.

My kids are pretty picky too. With the diet restrictions and the pickiness we are bored too! I try new recipes, or recipes that Ilike and...and they won't touch them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:59 pm 

Thank you for your ideas. I will give them a try. I am also interested in trying the mac and cheese recipe that was posted here. I think I might be able to find the cheddar flavour soy cheese at the large Independent store close by. If anyone else has further suggestions please send them in!! I found another in an allergy book yesterday - burger dogs - basically - sloppy joe in a hot dog bun.
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:12 pm 

I recently removed "society inflicted" time of day restrictions as well. There are so many great breakfast foods that I do not have time to make for breakfast...so I have them for lunch. Muffins, pancakes, hot cereal, with fruit, a tofutti cheese slice and soy milk make a good lunch that my kids enjoy. I just found out mccain "smooth-eez" are safe for us, so I'll try those with soy milk. I bought powdered "soy protein isolate" to add to my baking and smoothies since we are so limited in our meat selections due to allergies and pickiness to add some protein that we do not eat in the form of meat or milk. Then we are not missing anything by not having a meat selection at each lunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:17 pm 

Where do you buy the soy protein additive? How much do you add to a batch of muffins or to a smoothie? I worry about protein too. That's why I try to have a meat at lunch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:29 pm 

I bought soy protein isolate at a health food store. I made sure to buy one that was in a sealed package when it got to the store, and the store itself did not package it.

It acts like a starch...it can be used to thicken gravy or any other creative thickening use you can fund for it. I added 2 tbsp to a smoothie for me...but it would be too much for the kids they would not like it, it was a little gritty. For the kids...probably a 1/2 to 1 tbsp for a smoothie. There is 8g of protein in 1 tbsp. For a smoothie with 1 cup soy milk, + 1tbsp powder = about 17g protein.

In baking I replace some of the white flour with it. I will lessen the flour in a recipe by a few table spoons and replace it with the soy protein.

Also if you compare your wheat flours you will notice that some flours have more protein than others...best for breads and for pastry flours are higher in wheat protein. You will probably be surprised how much protein is in flour, and therefore in your breads and baking, especially if you use the higher protein ones which bake better as an added bonus.

"Red River" cereal has a fair amount of protein in it as well...and iron and flax too! Also check out "Tonys Turbos" cereal...they have protein too!

To find out your childs daily protein needs there is a handy calculator

http://www.geocities.com/healthyadvice/ ... on-Q9.html

for example if your 5 year old weighs 40 lbs. they need about 27g/day. Our soy milk has 9g per 250ml, so she only needs 3 glasses a day and she is fine without meat, not to mention the wheat protein in her breads, and other protein in the non meat based foods she eats. It is quite easy for a child who drinks soy milk to meet their requirements. I also give an iron fortified multivitamin. Too much protein in a diet can be bad too...I have heard that it is linked to "growth" diseases like cancer and other tumors. I also remember reading somewhere that the average north american gets 3x the daily recommended amount.

Once I stopped cooking a meat dish every meal, and felt that they were still meeting their protein requirements without it, lunch got more fun. Who wouldn't like a carrot muffin, a fruit salad, and a fruit smoothie for lunch instead of a meat sandwich everyday?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:01 pm 

Thank you Saskmommy! It's amazing how much we have to learn to manage allergies ... medical info, school policies, food labelling laws, diet info...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:26 pm 

Heres one of my favorite recipes! For lunch, I would serve it with a salad, or another vegetable and soy milk.

Butter Pan Bread Sticks (from the AAIA Praries Free of Allergens Full of Flavor Cookbook )

1/3 cup milk free marg
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp parsley
1 cup soy milk

Heat oven to 400 F. Melt margarine in 9x13 inch pan. Combine all dry ingredients. Stir in soy milk until moist. Knead about 10 times. Roll out the dough into a rectangle. Cut in 1 inch strips. Lay strips into pan in melted marg. Bake 20 - 25 minutes. Flip once. these bread sticks are wonderful with any pasta dish or with soup.

Our family likes to dip in pizza sauce, and what kid does not like pizza sauce, and dipping. I always make these for company and everyone LOVES them...I mean REALLY LOVES THEM! They are really easy, and everyone is always really impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:55 pm 

That recipe sounds really yummy... are the measurements for the basil, oregano and parsley for dry or fresh? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:25 pm 

The recipe never said...I have always used dry leaf "flakes" NOT ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:34 pm 

I found this article, it talks more about protein intakes of adults.

http://www.fwhc.org/health/high-protein-diet.htm

When searching the web for nutrition info. I try to stick to .org web addresses. This means that they are not for profit, and not selling you anything. I refuse to accept any other nutrition advise from anyone selling a product...its not valid info then...its just marketing.

Personally I need about 45g protein a day which I easily get from soy milk, and a protein enriched shake for breakfast. I do not eat a lot of meat, mostly for personal reasons...I was a vegetarian for three years prior to having kids. I re-introduced it before getting pregnant mostly due to society pressure and wanting to build a healthy baby. I wasn't into soy then and really had no major protein source. I find that I am repulsed by raw meat, blood and bones and can not bring myself to eat it without gagging. Most people hear "gravy" and think yum...I think cooked blood. Slowly i am going back to my old vegetarian ways...this time vegan due to the milk/egg allergies, but with a lot more knowledge of nutrition, and a general enjoyment of some soy products. I watch my protein and iron intakes closely, and always have a iron fortified vitamin every day as well. I also try to include healthy fats from plant based oils.

So yes, my secret is out, I know I am strange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:09 pm 

I think that vegetarians are a persuasive bunch---based on ethics, nutrition, environmental issues. I don't have a choice though---I have to be a meat eater due to allergies to legumes and eggs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:51 pm 

For us, eating soy and wheat proteins, vegan eating goes along with our allergies, with the exception of not eating nuts. For you lisa, you could not do it. Your allergies do not allign with healthy vegan eating. I have been wanting to cut it out completely for a while for me, and kids if they want. You need to be really careful with protien, iron, omega 3, B-12 and really need to be mindful of what you eat.

I really don't pressure others that it is the way to go, it is my preference based on allergies and my life long dislike of meat. Thats probably why I don't mention it much, i don't want to seem like anyone should further restrict themselves if it is not their preference. Society does have a recent "fad diet" craze that promotes protein, protein, protein and never really mentions what RDI ( recommended daily intake ) really is. I know I personally was surprised to see how easy it was to meet our families requirements by consuming soy beverages.

I still cook it for husband and oldest daughter eats limited meat, youngest not at all. i had been eating it occassionally but with my most recent gagging with pork...It is not worth it if I have to choke it down. Our family was limited to pork and beef...and I refuse to eat red meat at everymeal. My kids only really like bacon and i will not give them bacon on a regular basis just for the sake of eating meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 pm 

My daughter eats Chunky Split Pea with Ham soup that I send in a thermos. Also, she likes the little cans of tuna in Olive Oil (It's a single serving with a pull tab). I send it with crackers. She also likes Heinz Beans in tomato sauce. Have you tried Nayonnaise (soy mayo)? You can make different sandwiches or pasta salad with it. I hate making school lunches, between picky eaters and allergies, there aren't many options left! :wink: