You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:31 pm 

Here is a more recent article about what is being put into mattresses...including crib mattresses:

http://www.safecribbeds.com/phthalates.asp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

FYI, we've got an item on chemical-free, dust-mite repelling mattresses in the upcoming Winter issue of AL.

Check out http://www.myessentia.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:57 pm 

When we bought new mattresses for the kids last year, I read up about the fire retardant chemicals and wasn't sure if mainstream mattresses in Canada contained the chemicals like the US bound ones did. I did read about Ikea having fewer chemicals as they only apply the chemicals to their US bound mattresses. We decided to get a natural latex mattress from a local store http://www.discountfoam.ca/ and are happy with our choice so far. It is just a chunk of latex covered in a 100% cotton cover which is just like a sheet with a zipper, then I put a wool/cotton mattress pad on top, then a felted wool blanket on top of that as a fairly water resistant layer, then a fitted sheet. It was a bit hot in the summer with the wool layer, but it has saved us in some bedwetting situations that only the sheets and wool blanket get dirty.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:17 am 

I never would have thought to worry about a mattress! I need to buy a new one soon so that is very good to know with all my chemical sensitivities.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:47 pm 

I need to look into a new mattress and am quite interested in the myessentia mattress before I discuss this with DH has any one out there tried this mattress? :thanksign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:27 pm 

Here is another more recent article:

http://www.greencalgary.org/ask-ashley/ ... he-flames/

<<<In Canada, mattresses are covered under the Hazardous Products Regulations. Health Canada has set fire safety standards that require that all mattresses and futons sold in Canada must resist catching fire from a smouldering cigarette. Because the vast majority of mattresses are made from a variety of petroleum-based materials, they are not naturally fireproof. Go figure. So, in order to make these incredible fuel sources fire proof, manufactures apply fire retardants to them and this is where things start to get sticky.>>>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:37 pm 

After reading this again I am shocked at the reasoning behind these chemicals! And frustrated because I need a new mattress and of the ones recommended, none are available here in Winnipeg. How can I buy a mattress online?? Let alone for $3,000?!? Or how do I go on a road trip and then get it home?

This is daunting to say the least...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:45 pm 

There has been a lot of reporting on the news lately about low levels of serotonin being a possible cause of SIDS. Helloooooooo! Formaldehyde is known to supress levels of serotonin. As we all know, crib mattresses must now meet federal fire protection standards. One of the many chemicals used in mattresses as a fire retardant chemical is formaldehyde.

Apparently most of the babies found dead from SIDS were sleeping face down...could it be that they were inhaling more of the toxins that way????

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:58 pm 

P.S. Formaldehyde has long been used to treat fabrics including the fabric used to manufacture mattresses. Unless a crib is solid wood, there is be formaldeyde in the particle board used to make the crib. It is also in/on sheets and comforters and...can you believe it...on children's sleepware.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:07 pm 

I am starting the process of looking for a new mattress and I am interested in the memory foam ones. Has anyone bought one of these and had any problems with allergies? I am very sensitive to all fragrances and chemicals so I don't want to spend a large amount of money to find I cannot sleep on it.
Are there any products I should look out for and avoid?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:53 pm 

Marketplace did a special on fire retardants used in furniture and mattresses. We are being poisoned on a daily basis!

http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2311808189/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:03 pm 
Site Admin

That was a really strong show, thanks for sharing, Eldi.

FYI, some of that research emanates from AllerGen's CHILD program, which is investigating all exposures in homes in pursuit of answers to the development of allergies.

Here's a media release I received:

AllerGen Investigator’s Environmental Research Featured in CBC’s
Marketplace episode "Burned"

Toronto, ON (30 November 2012) - AllerGen NCE (Allergy, Genes and Environment Network of Centres of Excellence) investigator, Miriam Diamond, Department of Earth Sciences, University of
Toronto, is featured in an episode of CBC’s Marketplace.

A CBC investigation, undertaken with Miriam Diamond’s assistance, revealed that some chemical flame-retardants used in home furnishings have limited ability to stop or slow house fires and can
pose a variety of health hazards.

In a study undertaken in Toronto, Dr. Diamond found traces of chemical flame-retardants throughout local homes – in objects ranging from furniture and computer equipment to kitchen appliances and carpet backing. Household dust containing flame-retardant particles is a major source of exposure to
the human body and especially to toddlers.

AllerGen researchers are also studying household dust and phthalates as part of the AllerGen and CIHR-supported birth cohort study - The Canadian Healthy Infant Longitudinal Development (CHILD) Study. Through this research, AllerGen aims to increase the profile of children’s environmental health and highlight the need for increased attention to research, policy and action in this area.

In addition, AllerGen is supporting the BEAM Project, which is developing indoor air samplers that will help quantify exposures and understand how dangerous chemical compounds get from products
to people and into the environment.

The CHILD Study has collected and stored thousands of dust samples from homes across Canada and has the potential to generate important Canadian data on the levels of these compounds in homes as well as to study their impact on human health.

Today, over 50% of Canadian families are directly or indirectly affected by asthma and allergic diseases. Allergic diseases place tremendous psychosocial and economic burdens on both
Canadians and the healthcare system, costing up to $15 billion annually in emergency department visits, prescribed medications and productivity losses at school and work. Individuals with allergic
asthma respond differently to exposure to allergens such as pollen, mites, or molds.

While some develop an isolated “early” (resolving quickly) response, others go on to develop a “late” (i.e., ongoing and more severe) response, the latter characterized by severe inflammation of the airways that can only be partly reversed by existing drugs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:31 am 

Report on CNN regarding dangerous flame retardants:

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2013/ ... chemicals/

Dr. Gupta had an entire segment on the use of dangerous flame retardants in mattresses and furniture on CNN this morning but I can't find the whole program. It's good to see this topic hitting the major news stations! There was even a comment that the chemicals don't actually work but that it is all about making money for the chemical manufacturers.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:59 am 

This sounds promising...but...

"The new law, called “TB 117-2013″ doesn’t forbid furniture manufacturers to use the chemicals. Instead, it sets a new flammability test — known as a “smolder test — that furniture makers can meet without using the flame-retardant chemicals."

http://blogs.kqed.org/science/2013/11/2 ... furniture/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:47 pm 

I haven't seen this documentary yet...here is the site...the trailer pretty much says it all:

ABOUT TOXIC HOT SEAT

Chemical flame retardants are everywhere. Our furniture. Our homes. Our bodies. But do they work as promised? And are they making us sick?

http://www.toxichotseatmovie.com/

Also:

http://media.apps.chicagotribune.com/flames/index.html