You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Flooring
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:22 pm 

The flooring in our house has been ravaged by nine years of daily life, our pet cats, foster kittens, and climate (gritty sandy snowy boots, anyone?). It's also time to get rid of the carpet that causes my husband so much trouble. We pulled out the two Allergic Living issues that mentioned allergy and asthma-friendly flooring (and eco-friendly too) and it was a HUGE help in narrowing down our choices for what we wanted.

The flooring expert we went to immediately picked out two types of flooring that met our needs (waterproof, durable, pet friendly, not carpet) and then pointed out all the eco- and allergy-friendly properties of the floors he recommended (without us telling him we wanted those qualities). Bonus. We picked an asthma and allergy-certified, phthalate-free, low-VOC, water-urethane vinyl fibre flooring.

Now, to settle on a colour... that may take a few more days.

Thank you, Allergic Living, for giving us the resources to learn more about flooring and the hidden ingredients that could cause problems, before heading to the flooring store!

Post subject: Re: Flooring
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:05 am 

Isn't that great that the salesman told you about the allergy-friendly properties without being asked. I'm starting to find more and more people enquire about allergies before I ask, ie. booking a dining reservation at a really nice restaurant. Compared to when I started this journey 30-some years ago, there has been some progress, thank goodness.

Post subject: Re: Flooring
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:42 am 
Site Admin

SC - so glad to hear our articles were a help. :)

Good luck with your colour selection. New floors - nothing like them to beautify a home.