You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:13 pm 

Thanks Susan.... those were some really good points. It is a hard situation to grasp if you aren't dealing with it all the time.
It's so hard for kids who want to try new things aye? Your daughter probably just wanted to do something normal that shes sees all the other kids doing.... Josh is the same. Birthday parties can be stressful. Even thought I take him a "special treat" that he can have, he still wants to try everything everyone else has. *sigh*
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:13 am 

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the message---it's good to know that your son was in good hands. It's a traumatic way to find out about the allergy, but at least now you know. That's interesting about the body reacting to the skin test even though the allergy is gone--I hadn't heard that before.

My oral challenge tests have been quite recent, actually. My allergist wonders whether I could be avoiding some foods unnecessarily and asked me whether I'd be okay with bringing in a new food each appointment. I have added a couple of foods to my diet. I'm choosing the foods so far--but I'm willing to try almost anything in his office other than the foods that I am severely allergic to, and those allergies are not in question. One of these days, I might even get up the nerve to try chocolate again. When I was young, I figured that I was mildly allergic to the soya lecithin (I definitely have a soya allergy) and would eat chocolate from time to time anyways. In highschool I had a more serious reaction (itchy throat immediately after eating it; vomiting the next morning) --but it was imported chocolate so it might have been contaminated with peanuts or something. At least that's what I'm hoping. --Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:58 am 

Oh Lisa.... CHOCOLATE???? Now that sucks! I LOVE chocolate..... Ugh!
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:29 pm 

Yeah--I love chocolate too---the last time I tasted chocolate I ate a large dark Belgian chocolate bar with freeze-dried raspberries all at once. I knew I was having a reaction, but I finished the entire thing in one sitting because I figured I'd have to go on a chocolate fast for awhile. (I wouldn't be that stupid now that I know more about allergies.) Lisa

Post subject: upcoming egg challenge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:21 am 

Our son who is 5 is going for an egg challenge at Sick Kids Hospital in March.. I am so nervous. His first reaction(anaphylactic)0 at 3 was to some frozen pancake (he had eaten them before) and they figure the only ingredient he could have reacted to (hour later) was the liquid whole egg. He tested positive on skin tests to allergies for over 20 things including peanuts, nuts, egg white and many other things. It has been very stressful especially now that he is in school The allergist had us do the RAST blood test and our son was below .35 for egg but we had no idea what that meant but found it was good and we could proceed to food challenge at hospital. And I have been allowed to bake now with eggs and my son eats my muffins and cookies with no reaction. We have to bring the egg and he has to eat the white. I asked if I could hide the egg pieces in penne pasta as one of my friends did for her sons successful challenge a few years ago in a doctor's office and they said no. I am worried our son will not eat the egg as he has been taught not to and hates even the sight of eggs. I am talking to our son now about dying the eggs for the test like easter eggs in his favourite colours. Anyone have any tips or gone through a challenge at Sick Kids in Toronto and know more about it?

Post subject: Re: Challenge
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:35 pm 

Active Mom:
Best wishes for the challenge. I am an adult w/ food allergies. Many Doc's have suggested that if my parents had practiced avoidance when I was a child I might have outgrown some of them. This can take many years. Better to avoid as a child, than to do without the rest of your life; kids are really flexible and usually handle hardship much better than us grown-ups!

One thing Doc's seem to fail to mention is to carry Liquid Benadryl or the Children's chewables. These can be a lifesaver in an emergency when given with the Epi-pen at the 1st sign of a reaction.

My nephew has a peanut allergy. My sister-in-law called me after they returned home from the ER from his 1st reaction. I reminded her to wake him up and give Benadryl every 4-6 hours. (The ER Doc and the Pediatrician had failed to tell her this.) Sure enough, when she went into his room at 2 am that same night, he was starting to swell again!!!!

Talk to your Doc for dosages; Benadryl is safe and can be given for several days following a reaction to prevent "rebounding."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:57 pm 

My 8 year old son went for a egg challenge test last Friday. He is also allergic to peanuts and milk. We cooked one scambled egg before we left to go to the test at the clinic in the Childrens Hospital. His blood test for the egg was .35, 1.99 for milk and 10.0 for peanuts, about 6 months ago. He had no reaction to egg what so ever!!! I never thought I would see the day. He ate his first little piece of egg at 9 am and his last piece at 10:30 am. We left the hospital at noon. We were sooo exited. He loved the taste of the scrambled egg which the allergist said was a good sign. The allergist said we should continue giving him eggs at least once a week but more of course if he wants it. We had french toast for breakfast Sat morning, scrambled eggs for lunch and on Sunday morning had bacon and eggs. I think he was all egged out by Sunday. He did great with it and no symptoms of being allergic to it. He loves mayo on sandwiches as well. Egg is just a great protein food especially where he can't have peanut butter or cheese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:47 pm 

Bev, That's wonderful news for your son! It must be so hard to believe that this could happen. I cannot imagine ever being able to give our 4 yr old son egg, I sure hope it will happen one day! The rest of our family loves eggs, but we don't even have them in the house. My 6 year old daughter really misses them, so every now and then, I'll take her out for breakfast and she feasts on the eggs that she misses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:25 pm 

That's great news! Peanuts and milk are enough to worry about. Here's hoping he'll outgrow those ones too. I've heard that studies suggest that a child who has outgrown an allergy is less likely to become allergic again if he/she eats the food regularly---I'm wondering if that's why they recommend a once a week dose of egg. (The study that I heard about was actually on peanuts, but I'm sure it would apply to any allergy.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:08 pm 

Bev,

Hooray!

HUGE HUG for your son!

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:11 pm 

To Mommybird,

Hopefully your son will follow in the footsteps of Bev's son! Something to look forward to, perhaps?

Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

Ooh, I'm jealous in a way! It would be wonderful to not have to look for egg on the labels.
I don't know how you managed through the challenge, I know I'd be a wreck. I'm sure that I would end up making it mucj worse for the child.
Good for all of you making it through such a lengthy and scary process! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:55 pm 

I would be a wreck in a food challenge too. My oldest will have RAST tests done next fall to see her level to peanut/nut. Susan, have you ever taken your daughter for a RAST...or does she go this year as well. My doctor likes to do it when they are 5 years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:51 am 

Congrats Bev!!! Thats great news about the egg!! Here's hoping for all our kids aye?!! Sorry I haven't been around much but there is a lot going on in our world right now.... I'm reading the posts where I can though. This was a fantastic bit of news for sure!!! You must be so pleased to see your son eating egg..... I hoep we see the day where I can feed Josh french toast!! Wow! That would be cool (I LOVE french toast and miss it!! LOL)
Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:05 am 
Site Admin

Saskmommyof2- No not yet. She's just 4 last fall. Her Allergist's thought is that he won't go to the RAST until she is non-reactive to the skin prick first.