You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:31 pm 

I found some information about US airlines, and their policies regarding peanuts...and it looks like some airlines DO NOT serve peanuts at all.

http://www.foodallergy.org/Advocacy/airlines.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:27 pm 

this is helpful--thanks.

Post subject: Re: travel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:12 pm 

WARDEN wrote:
I will be traveling in June for a family function to scotland. I am travelling alone with my two children. My 6 yr old has anaphylaxis to dairy. I intend on bringing my own food on the plane, however does anyone know what they will allow me to take into Scoctland thru customs?

I just found this one the Air Canada website:

Travelling to the United Kingdom? Check the rules before you take any food items with you.

It is against the law to bring any meat or dairy products into the UK from countries outside Europe. Restrictions also apply to many other food items, including fish, shellfish, eggs and honey as well as certain plants and vegetables.

Controls on food imports are essential to protect British livestock and agriculture from pests and disease not found in the UK - and may also protect your own health.

Check the rules at http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/illegali/default.htm before you travel and avoid severe delays, prosecution and fines on arrival in the UK.

Post subject: Re: Airplane food
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

Re-raising .... cuz I'm wondering - with the new carry-on restrictions, is anyone finding it more difficult to bring food or drinks onto the plane?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:27 pm 

Thanks for bringing this topic up. We always pack food for the trip and baking for breakfast the next day.
i am waiting to see if this will be a problem before I book our next flights.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:33 pm 

I have flown twice with West Jet to Maui with allergic children and felt pretty safe because they didn't serve any nuts or peanuts (our worst allergens). They were also proactive and helpful with asking surrounding passengers not to eat nuts/peanuts. I brought extra nut/peanut-free snacks to give out if anyone was inconvenienced by us, and there were no problems.

We have just booked a flight to Toronto on AC and when I spoke to the agent she said they couldn't guarantee a nut-free environment as they can't control what people bring onto the plane, and there are no peanuts given or sold on the plane, but business class does give out almonds. She also said they no longer do PA announcements asking people not to consume certain foods 'because it's too hard to police it'.

We will bring a lot of food for us and the kids, plus wipe down the seats, and since there are two families with 7 people, we won't have anyone outside of our group sitting next to the kids, and of course have at least 3 epipens per child.

With regards to bringing food across customs, I believe the problems are with meat, dairy, fresh fruit/veg, and these are the foods that are less risky to buy from a grocery store. We bring the 'higher risk' foods with us in our checked luggage: bread, crackers, cookies, chips, etc, and it's never been a problem as long as it's dry food and not fresh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:26 am 

Hope you have a great trip.
We also preboard and wipe down seats. My daughter who is now a teen protests the preboarding but I have tried to point out it prevents us from annoying people trying to pass us while we wipe seats and get settled.
I also appreciate how accomodating WestJet has been. When we flew back to Ontario last summer we were asked if it would be okay with us if the stewardess informed passengers around us that a passenger near them had severe allergies to peanuts and nuts and ask them to please not consume any products with those ingredients.
I also pack extra safe snacks like Fruit-to-Go and have offered these to other passengers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

Alison's Mom - I'm really wondering whether I can still bring food when I travel to the U.S.

Most items are being banned as carryons to US destinations since the underwear incident - the latest I saw in the Edmonton Journal yesterday was no books or mags unless purchased on the gateside / past security (sigh). So I'm wondering if there will be new restrictions on foods on flights into or over U.S. Will have to check with the airlines. Just don't know when will get to.

If anyone else has time to check about U.S. flights, would be def. be interested in hearing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:13 pm 

maybe it would be an idea to get one's allergist to write a note declaring food a medical necessity :rofl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:39 pm 

OK, I've just taken a quick look at these two sites, and it seems that food is still allowed. The Cdn regulations still look the same as they were prior to the Dec 25th 'underwear' incident, with limited liquids that must be put in a ziploc bag, etc:
http://www.catsa.gc.ca/Page.aspx?ID=58& ... es&lang=en

Also, the US site says that with inbound international flights, there is increased preboarding security, but doesn't mention food:
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/010 ... ement.shtm

It does mention food in other parts of the site, and these are the same as the old rules about limited liquids, gels, etc but this is regarding domestic US travel.

So hopefully for the time being, we are still allowed to bring food onto the plane. If this changes, that would making flying impossible for a lot of people, including people with food allergies as well as people with other conditions/diet restrictions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Alison's Mom. Think the intrepid Susan is doing some digging too.

Helen, good to see you've retained your humour. I'm not sure I can say the same.
My mother has a great line:
"Dear, I must be really old now; I can remember when air travel was fun." :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:04 pm 

Was trying to be funny. But I'm also serious. When the whole anti-gel, anti-ice pack movement was in full force, I did ask my allergist for a note indicating that I need to bring my own food + ice packs (I have to cook everything from scratch, so I need to keep things hot or cold). He scrawled a short note on a prescription pad. Don't know if it will suffice, but it is something. When planning a trip, I did call the number at one of the US airlines for folks with medical issues requiring accommodation, and I was assured that I'd be able to bring ice packs and my food on board. I probably sound like an extreme case to them because I have multiple health issues. I didn't end up having to make the trip, so I didn't get to see how accommodating they were in practice.

They can't starve us in the name of security measures, can they? Can they???? I hope not.