Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Hi all ...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:11 am 

Hi,

I'm so glad to find an online support group and have someone to talk to. I live in a small town where food allergies are not really a "problem".

My son Alexander tested positive to the peanut allergy when he turned two. Since then we have avoided contact with foods containing peanuts/treenuts, but I also feel we have avoided living. We avoid eating in public places which restricts what things we do outside of the house - to date we have avoided outings such as trips to a zoo etc ....

This coming September Alexander will be starting JrK and I have a whole new set of fears starting. Even with Sabrina's law coming into effect this month, our school is quite nieve in the food allergy area. I have so many questions about sending Alexander to school and how to handle things and have no one to talk to. I am hoping to hear your experiences and hope to pickup some great ideas from all of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:23 am 

Hi Tezzi. Welcome to the forum. My son was 4 when he was first diagnosed as peanut-allergic and he was already in JK. He is now 16 and has not had another reaction since the one that led to his diagnosis. He was re-tested at age 13 and is still extremely allergic. There were some close calls at school but never a reaction. You are lucky to have access to the internet and this forum. You could start by compiling a scrapbook to use when you go to the school. That way you can begin to train the people who will look after your son. You will find lots of information from other parents on this forum with ideas on what worked for them. You'll also meet people who are in the same position as you. They share your fears of sending their little ones to school for the first time. It IS scary. But it can be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:33 pm 

Welcome Tezzi,
My son was diagnosed with his peanut allergy when he was about 18 months old and he's now 3. I think you'll start to feel better as you take the time to read over eveyone's responses on the various topics in this forum. When Ethan was first diagnosed I too felt very alone and isolated from others who understood what I was feeling / experiencing, etc. and It has been extremely helpful for me to connect with others who truly understand my perspective. We have managed to live a relatively "normal" (whatever that is) life in spite of Ethan's allergy. We've just made modifications. We don't really eat out at restaurants (minor exceptions on occasion) and I think we're healtier because of it. We visit with friends and family who understand Ethan's allergy and are willing to accomodate it (with respect to mealtime, not having nuts around, etc.). When we visit places, like parks or different community events, we just bring our own food. Investing in a great cooler was one of the smartest things we've done. Ethan isn't yet school age but I already feel some of the anxiety you speak of with entrusting him to someone else's care - make use of the support that this forum can offer you. Everyone is very helpful and supportive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:57 pm 

Thank-you for your welcome's!! I look forward to many "conversations" with other mum's in my same situation.