You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:37 am 

My daughter (peanut/nut) will be 5 in march and he wants her to go for a RAST around the time she starts kindergarten (next fall), has more freedom, and is in the care of others more. He said the RAST will give us some indictator of how severe her allergy is. If she scores low then her chances of having a severe reaction are less, and we will at least have some indicator how severe it is. Obviously any allergy can turn severe, but the RAST will tell us how likely she is to have a severe reaction.

RAST is NOT covered in sask. it costs about $45. Both my daughters are highly recommended to have them at age 5. We would go for the RAST over repeting the skin tests, because the RAST does not expose the child to their allergens. She would not have both...just the RAST, and maybe the skin test if her RAST is <.35 and prior to a challenge. I know other provinces cover RAST, so maybe your province will not pay for it until the skin test is negative since the skin test is cheaper. It is not covered at all here, so I can choose when to do it, and to opt for it over another skin test based on my allergists recommendations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:29 pm 

Thanks to everyone for the congrats on Justin not being allergic to eggs anymore. Like I said before, I never thought I would see the day. So there is hope after all as they get older. I thought I read before that if they outgrow an allergy, it is usually by the age of 5 so I was almost giving up hope. He is almost 9 years old. I think he got the peanut allergy for life but the allergist is still optimestic that he will outgrow his milk allergy. He will have another blood test in about a year for the milk and peanuts and we will have to wait and see what happens. Again, thanks alot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:39 pm 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
I know other provinces cover RAST, so maybe your province will not pay for it until the skin test is negative since the skin test is cheaper. It is not covered at all here, so I can choose when to do it, and to opt for it over another skin test based on my allergists recommendations.

About a year and a half ago, here in Ontario, Ethan's skin test was covered by the province and then we had to pay ($35 at the time) to have the RAST done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:15 pm 

ethansmom wrote:
About a year and a half ago, here in Ontario, Ethan's skin test was covered by the province and then we had to pay ($35 at the time) to have the RAST done.

I was wondering about that so thanks for the info. My son has never had a RAST but I'd like him to get one. Would you happen to know if this is something that private insurance will cover?

By the way, I called his allergist and was told that I need to get another referral to see him because it's been over a year (his last appointment was 3 years ago). Has anyone else experienced this in Ontario?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:30 pm 

I experienced the exact same thing in sask. I did not know that I was suppost to bring the kids yearly, I was never told, and I did not know that I was entitled to be seen for "check up" purposes. It had been 1 1/2 years and I phoned to make an appointment and was told I needed a new referal since I missed my check up...they assumed that I was no longer a patient. What?

Hello...I get a yearly check-up...that would have been nice to know! So we got a new referal, went back and apparently my older daughter was due for more "environmental tests" even though she has no symptoms. He also likes to re-listen to lungs for signs of asthma (none yet). Apparently, he has a schedule of what to test for each year, and missing a check-up screws with the schedule. My allergist want to do a RAST next fall on my oldest. I think he was implying that I might not come back for a check-up when he told me that...I kindly informed him that I was unaware that he wanted to see us yearly. Like i said earlier...that would have been something to tell me. I did not think I was entitled to a visit unless it was urgent, or it had been afew years and time to retest.

I think it was my allergist who mentioned that some other provinces cover RAST. Is everyone else having to pay for it too? Or is it covered if a skin test is negative and the doctor is considering a challenge?

Bev, congratulations! The day my kids outgrow an allergy will be one happy day in my house. About never giving up hope...my husband was 12 when he outgrew his milk allergy and his peanut allergy too. He went to the allergist yesterday ( after about 15 years ) and he is still allergic to eggs, ALL fish and shellfish and all tree nuts with the exception of cashews and pistachios ( and lots of environmental ). I 'm sure that being fed eggs in baking on a regular basis as a child (but using his inhaler first to help with the breathing problems :roll: , and *only* occasionally needed epinephrine) contributed to the fact that he is 29 and still egg allergic. The rediculous thing is that MIL new about using egg replacer...she chose not too because her baking turned out better with eggs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:04 pm 

My daughter had the rast test done last year here in Ontario and it cost around 30 - 40 per allergen. She was tested for 4 allergens. THe lab tech told us that we could put it through our employers health plan and that it would probably be covered. We lost the receipt unfortunately and never sent it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:45 pm 

Storm wrote:
By the way, I called his allergist and was told that I need to get another referral to see him because it's been over a year (his last appointment was 3 years ago). Has anyone else experienced this in Ontario?

My family doctor has to refer us again after 6 months! Crazy since he doesn't stop having an allergy just because some time has passed! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:53 pm 

I passed mine through my insurance at work and they paid 80%, so it's not that bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:32 am 

I have the impression that OHIP has made the rules about referrals after one year. RAST tests aren't covered by OHIP in Ontario.